Whisper 500 Air Pump

I was helping my father move some old things out of his house and I came across a Whisper 500 air pump. He said it was from his oscar tank he had years ago. Most of the things were going to go to a thrift shop anyway, so he said I could take the pump. I haven't tested it yet to see if it works or not, but I did a little googling. From what I can tell they're not made anymore and this thing is ancient. Assuming it's still in working order, I'd like to use it for a sponge filter on the goldies tank upgrade (55 or 75g I think). Does anyone know the gph? Is that what the "500" means - 500 gph? Thanks :D

Finding GPH of a sponge filter is difficult. There are many YouTube videos that tell of ways to do it, but I've found no foolproof way. 

Could I suggest using a filter more befitting of how messy goldfish get? A sponge filter really doesn't remove the waste very well, and therefore isn't a good idea in a tank of adult fish. I have learned this from experience.

I would suggest using a canister or HOB filter instead. 

Air pumps aren't rated by gph that's filters. Can you post a pic of the air pump? :)

Ah, my mistake! Sorry! What are pumps rated by then? I know there's something.. It's at the back of my mind!

I will try to get a photo of it. If you google it there are some photos I think. It's square and an ugly tan off-white colour. 

It would not be a sponge filter on its own. I would also be moving my two HOBs from my 30 gallon over.