What to expect as things get warmer?

Blitz

I brought my fish home in January and they've been living in what I've been thinking of as "winter temperatures" but now spring is finally here and things are already warming up.

We have a unique heating agreement in my apartment because we live above a candy shop and excessive heat can be problematic with their chocolates. We get heat for free, but we don't control the thermostat. Overall this winter the apartment has averaged 60 degrees and my tank has been 63 to 65 degrees.

It's been warmer outside lately and warmer inside too. Now my tank is 67.5 degrees and I know it will gradually climb into the seventies as we get closer to summer time.

Should I expect any changes in my goldfish as their tank gets warmer? They're still young so I'm not sure if I will see spawning behavior...

Also, should I be doing anything differently to maintain my fish in warmer water?

If you couldn't tell I'm really excited for spring (even if we did get a snow storm yesterday as a going away present from winter).

You don't have to do anything differently, though more food is often given during the summer months but it is up to you. Keep the tank well aerated during the summer as well. :)

You may see spawning behaviour.

As noted, as temps rise, so does the fish's metabolism. This means they will want more food. This will cause more ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be created. Fortunately, the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite also work faster as temperature rises, so they will keep up with the increased "pollution". This might however mean that you can not go as long inbetween water changes, since nitrates might rise more quickly. Might is the key word here. It isn't a drastic temp change, so I woukdnt expect any large changes.

• Supporter

if the temperature of the water is becoming a concern, a neat trick is to use a fan and point it to the water surface (obviously the hood will be up and the water surface exposed so that the air hits it). this has worked for many people, including myself.

Awesome. Everyone here always has such helpful information!

You don't have to do anything differently, though more food is often given during the summer months but it is up to you. Keep the tank well aerated during the summer as well. :)
You may see spawning behaviour.

I have two air stones running so hopefully that will be enough, but I'll keep an eye on things though and add another if it seems needed.

The warmer it gets the hungrier the goldfish. That's true until it gets to around 90F. Above that they slow down.

I'll definitely keep an eye on how quickly they eat their food. I've already had to make small adjustments as the fish grew. I hope their water won't get about 90 F! Once we get to the muggy part of summer we usually run the AC to keep things below 80 F.

As noted, as temps rise, so does the fish's metabolism. This means they will want more food. This will cause more ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be created. Fortunately, the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite also work faster as temperature rises, so they will keep up with the increased "pollution". This might however mean that you can not go as long inbetween water changes, since nitrates might rise more quickly. Might is the key word here. It isn't a drastic temp change, so I woukdnt expect any large changes.

I'll keep an eye on my parameters and see if more frequent water chances are need. I've been fine so far with one 75% change every seven days but when I brought them home I was prepared for the possibility of doing water changes every 4 or 5 days if needed.

Your apartment averaged 60*?  :cold:   I'd tell them to make more candy.  :rofl

60 F isn't too bad once you get in the habit of wearing layers. Plus, the low energy bill 3/4 of the year and free chocolate samples whenever we visit downstairs make it worth it.

if the temperature of the water is becoming a concern, a neat trick is to use a fan and point it to the water surface (obviously the hood will be up and the water surface exposed so that the air hits it). this has worked for many people, including myself.

This is a good tip! If it gets that warm though I'll probably hang out with the fish and share the breeze with the tank.