Sign in to follow this  
lizam

newbie question: Is it okay to keep one fancy (oranda/telescope) alone?

I do not have any goldfish yet but  I do have some experience with freshwater fish.  I am in the planning research phase :hummm 

I have already asked some opinions about tank size.  I am looking at the 29g fluval long 91 x 30.5 x 40.5 cm (36 x 12 x 16 in)

/45g bow front 91 x 40.5 x 51 cm (36 x 16 x 20 in).  The tank would be situated in a room that we spend most of our time in when we are home. 

Anyway, I am wondering can one fancy, in particular either an oranda or a telescope live happily on his/her own?  I haven't found much about this.

I really want to make a good decision about the home I provide for the fish because it is unlikely I will be able to upgrade the tank in the future due to space and the maintenance required.

Thanks for your help :) 

Goldfish are social fish and do enjoy the company of other Goldfish.  I also think it is more enjoyable for the keeper to watch two or more Goldfish interact.  However, many people keep Goldfish alone and they seem to do fine :)

Yes. Sure they can live alone, but in my experience every time I have one by itself it tends to be more scared and skittish. But when as soon as it is with another fish it mellows out and is calmer constantly swimming around together. A single fish can certainly get used to being alone and be fine, but they do tend to be social fish. So either way is fine, it is your choice really.

okay thank you :) so if I cannot get my hubby to agree on the 45g, I will consider the 29g with one fancy probably, especially if it's an oranda.

It well be fine. Better alone with lots of room then with a friend and not enough room.  Maybe get a mirror.

My fish are very social with each other as well as with me... I think my Oranda would do well on her own but my Ranchu I'm not sure. He follows the Oranda around like a puppy dog, but I am also very interactive with my fish and I feel like that helps as well. Growing up my dad kept goldfish and one lived many years by himself and was happy. So if you can only get one I'm sure they would do just fine.

My oranda, Newton, has lived alone for 4 years after his tank mate died.  He feeds from my hand, smacks at the water when we walk by, swims lengths in the tank and wiggles when we arrive.  He has grown and become more beautiful with each year.  By any measure I have, he is a happy and healthy fish.