Sign in to follow this  
lizam

tank recomendations - fluval 29g long?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and don't have goldfish yet (have tropical - pea puffers, betta, mollies, guppies, etc.) but did have them as a kid.  I really want to get a tank with two fancy goldfish in them, I am really in love with the oranda and the telescope eye. 

Anyway, I am looking at different tanks.  I want something they would be good in for long time.  In my research I have seen various suggestions about tank size...I understand the bigger the better but I am wondering if a 29gallon long like this one...

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/15216-premium-aquarium-starter-kit-29-wide/#.VQuyxTh0zIU

the dimensions are as long as a 40 breeder but not as wide.   The Fluval 29 long is  36X12X16. 

The kit seems nice but I understand that I would be upgrading or adding more filtration as the fish grow.

Your advice is very much appreciated as I am hoping to provide a good home for the long haul.

Thanks! :thumbup2:

Since you're an experienced fishkeeper already, I think that would be a fine tank for two fancies. Keep in mind that goldfish need heavier filtration than tropicals (we typically recommend a minimum of 10x the tank volume turnover per hour) and larger water changes (many of us do 75% or more weekly, I aim for 90% myself).

But you're ahead of most newbies since you already understand the nitrogen cycle, and can probably borrow media from one of your established, healthy tanks to jumpstart the cycle.

I've kept dwarf puffers myself -- fabulous little fish! I'm sure you don't have them in a community tank. If you've kept DPs successfully, you should do fine with goldfish. Same principles: heavy filtration (goldfish rival puffers in messiness and waste output) and big water changes, and your fish will thrive!

Welcome to goldfish!

Thanks for your response.  Yes DP are messy little things :yikes  I have two in a species only tank and I adore them.  You are so right, even those guys need frequent big water changes otherwise the nitrates would be through the roof. 

If I can convince my husband, I am going to try to get the fluval 45 gallon bow front.  :teehee  Some women want fancy shoes but I want fish tanks! :D The 45g dimensions are 36X16X20, which would be better than the 29 fluval but we will see how that goes :P The bow front too would need additional filtration. 

I am really excited to get goldfish but I think it will have to wait a couple months.  In the meantime I can just learn more and do my planning. :rolleyes:

I have an Aqueon 38 gallon kit that fits that 36 X 12 footprint.  It's just a bit taller.  This might be a good compromise.  I have two Goldfish and a BN Pleco in there and they are quite happy :)

I don't think a 29 would be a good option for 2 orandas long term. They get big.

Fair enough :D I believe the difference in price between the 45g and the 29g is about $100.  If I cannot get the 45g I will reconsider the oranda and maybe consider two telescopes instead...I believe they don't get as big?  I am hoping for one oranda and one telescope.  From the reading I have done I don't want to really just have one as they seem to do better in at least pairs...

I have heard and read different things about tank size - 20g for one fancy and then 10g for each additional and also 20g per fancy.  :hummm 

I like 20 gallons per fish minimum but it isn't my forum. Believe me when I tell you, I have some big fish and they foul up the water fast.  A 40 breeder is a great tank. Closer to 45 gallons and can be found at PetCo for $40 during their dollar per gallon sale.

I like 20 gallons per fish minimum but it isn't my forum. Believe me when I tell you, I have some big fish and they foul up the water fast.  A 40 breeder is a great tank. Closer to 45 gallons and can be found at PetCo for $40 during their dollar per gallon sale.

She's in Canada. . . . Don't tease her. :rofl

She's in Canada. . . . Don't tease her. :rofl

LOL  yeah we don't have Petco here. :no: Fluval stuff is popular and then there is Petsmart...

My preferred tank for two goldfish is the 40B. Are you near the US border?

You don't need to cross the border for a 40 breeder.

Lizam, Petsmart sells it.

You can order online and pick it up at a store of your choosing.

There is also a chain store called Big Als, which carries a lot of tanks.

Check out their website and see if there may be a store in your area.

...not sure Big Als shops are in BC, but give Petsmart a go.

Of course you can get a 40B without crossing the border, but you need to do it for the $1 per gallon Petco sale.

You don't need to cross the border for a 40 breeder.

Lizam, Petsmart sells it.

You can order online and pick it up at a store of your choosing.

There is also a chain store called Big Als, which carries a lot of tanks.

Check out their website and see if there may be a store in your area.

Yes I am near the boarder (about 2 1/2 hours North of Spokane, WA which has a Petco)  and a city a couple hours away that is near me has a Petsmart.  From what I can see online, Petco seems to have the nicer stand eh? (had to add the Canadian eh in!  :rockon )  I have priced  out the 40 breeder and stand.     For what you get in the Fluval 45g bow front with a stand, the fluval is a better deal.  If I have to though I might just go do some cross boarder shopping :D , even with our low CDN Dollar. :blink:

thank you for your help :)

Of course you can get a 40B without crossing the border, but you need to do it for the $1 per gallon Petco sale.

You haven't considered gas and dollar exchange.

Our dollar (affectionately known as Loonie b/c it has a loon on it) is quite a bit lower than your dollar.

Also, scored my 20 B for $20 to house my single ranchu.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Of course I considered gas, that's why I asked if he was near the border. :) I have never seen even an old used 40B for sale here for under $100 except at Petco's $ per gallon sale, but maybe they are cheaper north of the border. I have some old loonies from when I lived 30 miles from the border, but I have no idea what they are worth now.

I want a 20B!

Of course I considered gas, that's why I asked if he was near the border. :) I have never seen even an old used 40B for sale here for under $100 except at Petco's $ per gallon sale, but maybe they are cheaper north of the border. I have some old loonies from when I lived 30 miles from the border, but I have no idea what they are worth now.

I want a 20B!

Your loonies are not worth much now, only worth 80 US Cents today :thumbdown ugh...40 breeders go for about $100 CDN at petsmart.  Not bad I guess :)

I have some old loonies from when I lived 30 miles from the border, but I have no idea what they are worth now.I want a 20B!

Don't ask.

Less than a year ago, our dollar was higher than yours.

Now, not so much.

A 40B here during the DPG sale (Which doesn't happen all the time, so you'd have to plan around it for a trip.) would be about $50 CAD.according to the calculator I used. Petco has a bunch of nice stands and such, but they'd run you a bit as well.

I suppose if you made a day of it it wouldn't seem like as much cost as it is, but it's up to you whether you have room in the budget to do it. :) 

So I was out with my hubby in the city near me and I took him to a Fish store that I love over there and showed him the fluval 45g bow front (dimensions 36X16X20)...he was good with it!  :pease: So my birthday is coming up and it looks like I will be able to get it.  :teehee Then I showed him some cute little orandas (maybe 3 inches).  I was trying to explain that we would only get two because of how big they could get! 

Anyway, I just want to thank you all for your help. I am really looking forward to setting things up over the next couple of months. :rolleyes:

Two in a big beautiful bowfront sounds like a dream. :heart

What an awesome choice, congrats in advance!!! :happydance Aside from the issues that hopefully won't arise once they're home, it'll just be making sure you do big weekly water changes, feeding them, and plenty of enjoyment from watching them flourish. :wub:

You can use some biomedia from an existing tank along with some new one to get your cycle going which will make it a loooooot easier than having to start from scratch.

Edited by Chai