Goldfish with curved/bent tails?

Josie

Hi all!  So I recently purchased two telescopes from a LFS.  They both have curved or bent tail fins!  One is very noticeable, while the other one just has one little part on the bottom of his tail that curves out.  What causes this to happen and will they ever straighten out?  I am curious about this too because I like to window shop on Dandy Orandas, and have noticed that in some descriptions it will say the fish has a bent fin, like maybe it is a fault if you were going to show your fish.  Any ideas on this subject would be appreciated :)

Okay, so here are a few pics of my new calico.  You can see that the whole right side of her tail is bent, or at a different angle.  Sometimes I think it makes it harder for her to swim.  The other fish just has a little bend in his tail so I couldn't really capture it very well in a photo.

Xs8JRI5.jpg

V8lURVf.jpg

5esuKzd.jpg

That does look like a deformity, but it is still an adorable little fish.  These things sometimes improve, but usually don't  What you can do is make sure that  the water current isn't too turbulent for her to swim against :)

Malformed fins are common in goldfish found in pet stores.  They are harmless and there is nothing you can do about them.  People have tried trimming the fin and it usually grows back the same way.

Agreed with all above.

My first fish, Clementine, had a kinked tail. Although she shot up in growth like a little rocket, the kink never disappeared or changed, but it didn't hinder her at all. 

That does look like a deformity, but it is still an adorable little fish.  These things sometimes improve, but usually don't  What you can do is make sure that  the water current isn't too turbulent for her to swim against :)

Thanks, I think she is actually my cutest goldfish :)  Good advice, I will keep that in mind about the current.  So far she seems to be doing okay, she likes to play in the bubbles and I feed her seperately from my other goldies.

Malformed fins are common in goldfish found in pet stores.  They are harmless and there is nothing you can do about them.  People have tried trimming the fin and it usually grows back the same way.

Eeeek!  I didn't know people trimmed fins  :yikes