Hope we haven't set ourselves up for heartache

Jim_D

Hope we haven't set ourselves up for some heartache, but we've named the goldfish :)

Bubbles

Boxer

Pom Pom

Beanie

Boof

Pup

Poodle

Punch

There's a first for everything I suppose, but if we lose one of them. It's just going to make it that much more painful :(

I name my fish too :teehee they are pets after all :heart

Edit for stupid autocorrect :P

Edited by Flipper

Broken hearted this morning. I can't believe I made that post only yesterday.

Woke this morning to find Poodle dead.

All water params perfect, all the other fish are perfectly normal.

Can't believe how sad I am. Only had him two weeks today.

Sorry to be a sad sack in public, but I am feeling pretty down over him.

• Supporter

i am sorry... sometimes there isn't any warning signs and other times despite our best efforts to save an unwell goldfish, we do not succeed. this is the sad side of the hobby, please don't be discouraged, you're doing a great job caring for your goldies.  :hug

Thanks everyone.

Certainly a low point, that's for sure. I've lost uncountable fish before and very often it's hurt very much, but this was especially distressing. 

Poodle was an all black Oranda, I think it just must be those adorable black wen and wobbly cheeks that made him so special so quickly and have such presence.

I've spent the day getting a 3' 30 gallon tank out from under the house and setting it up with an Eheim 2213 as a quarantine tank (isn't it amazing how much paraphernalia fish people gather over the years!) when its cycled I'll try and find a replacement for him.

Boy oh boy......I do wish it hadn't happened though.

I have to ask... Any reason you picked names beginning with only B or P?

My apologies for not answering this before, I missed it somehow.

I honestly don't know how it happened. My wife and I sat in front of the tank and threw out names and these were what they were.

I have to ask... Any reason you picked names beginning with only B or P?

My apologies for not answering this before, I missed it somehow.

I honestly don't know how it happened. My wife and I sat in front of the tank and threw out names and these were what they were.

Thanks for the info. what a coincidence! Sorry to hear about your fish.

Sorry for your loss. :k055: It's not uncommon for unexpected deaths to happen when fish are acclimating to new homes from an LFS. Hoping it's only uphill from here on. :hug

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss, I lost one of my fish after 10 months of care just last week & I am still reeling from the loss.

For the record I only name my fish after they have acclimated to my tank. I did not name my current fish for about 3 months. I have a great fishy friend who always says I am tempting fate when I name my fish. After telling me this; she then named one of my fish Bella and another Sweet Pea - I ask you?!!!

I named Buster he is always zooming around the tank and is very curious. He is always the first to see me approach the tank. The fish I lost was Akiko - Japanese for Iris, she was the same red and white of a Japanese Iris  :no:

• 4 weeks later...

Hope we haven't set ourselves up for some heartache..

Jim, I'm just reading this now. 

Heartache, well,  it seems like it found you.

You've cared about your pet, another being, and feel their loss now that they're gone.

This hobby is painful. Some of our mods no longer name their fish!  

I have lost fish that I really cared about, and it is just grief. We miss them. We wish it wouldn't have happened.

Name them, do your best for them, miss them when they go.  It is just part of it. sadhug.gif