One tank, two fish...one hates the other...what now?

mickeyrom

No Lisa, one is still in the 10. That's the point. I had to move one before I wanted to, so Goldie is alone in the 40 and the mean one, that is Gracie, is still in the 10 gallon tank also still being treated for Gill Flukes, as she still has a red spot on one gill.

What is the behavior that you are observing? 

One is attackin the other. In this case the larger one is attacking the smaller, weaker one. Nipping at it. I didn't get the 40 gallon tank for one small GF.

You may have less trouble with that in the larger tank. Is the 10 gallon bare bottom, no decor, etc or is there stuff in there with them? How often is it happening? Where is she nipping? Fins? Rear? :teehee

Well, I'm not quite sure. We put Goldie in the 40 gallon tank Tuesday and it made her very happy, but all I can tell you is that Gracie who is quite robust was chasing poor Goldie all over the tank and seemed to nip at her sides. I was afraid that she would nip off her slime.(at the very least) Goldie does not seem to have any symptoms of Flukes, but she is much the weaker one and looks deformed. She swims OK, and now is all over the large tank, but even to me it's obvious that she is not normal. If I had your address, I could send you her picture and of Gracie too if you want, but sending it via E mail is the only way I know how to do it.

If you hesitate posting your adress publically, you can if you don't mind, send it to me. ********************

If not, I do understand.

Edited by fantailfan1
Removed email address

Have these fish been together previously?  Often goldfish chase strangers to become acquainted.  This can look quite aggressive.  I put a fish into a new pond and  he chased every fish in the pond.  Some of them became very distressed.  This went on for more than an hour, and I was about to put him in solitary, when he just stopped and never harassed a pondmate again.  

Some fish do bully others, and they often respond to a "time out."  Some people float a plastic colander, and whenever the bully gets aggressive,  he gets confined to the colander.  Goldfish are pretty faster learners.

As above, it could also be spawning behavior, although that doesn't usually involve nipping.

You may have less trouble with that in the larger tank. Is the 10 gallon bare bottom, no decor, etc or is there stuff in there with them? How often is it happening? Where is she nipping? Fins? Rear? :teehee

I totally believe that Lisa, but I can't put Gracie in with Goldie because I am afraid that at Goldie's weakened state, she would be killed.

Have these fish been together previously?  Often goldfish chase strangers to become acquainted.  This can look quite aggressive.  I put a fish into a new pond and  he chased every fish in the pond.  Some of them became very distressed.  This went on for more than an hour, and I was about to put him in solitary, when he just stopped and never harassed a pondmate again.  

Some fish do bully others, and they often respond to a "time out."  Some people float a plastic colander, and whenever the bully gets aggressive,  he gets confined to the colander.  Goldfish are pretty faster learners.

As above, it could also be spawning behavior, although that doesn't usually involve nipping.

We have had them since Feb 8th. They are babies. When Gracie's gill problem is healed, I will put her in the larger tank, and hope for the best.I will be watching.

Just to give you encouragement, my male stooped harassing/nipping his 1/2 siblings after 4 months in  "solitary." They can change and learn. Good luck!

She is in solitary as we speak, for how long depends on how effective Prazi is. (and how soon it takes Goldie to gain back her normal strength.)

Edited by mickeyrom

I was not sure where to post this update, but here it is. They remain in their respective tanks, and Gracie is still being treated for Flukes. Goldie is still somewhat misshapen, but seems happy being in the larger tank, and Gracie is, well...Gracie. In other words no change.

Edited by mickeyrom