Cutiebean has red patches all over her body

Hi guys,

Cutiebean had been looking pretty big for around a week. A few days ago, I noticed this patch on her belly.

image.jpg1_zpst8ks613v.jpg

It really concerned me, and I figured it was something to do with the fact that she was full of eggs. It was late, so I couldn't set up QT, but I put my hand underneath her and pulled her out of the water a few times. She then dropped quite a lot of eggs, but I didn't want to stress her out so I didn't do it for long. The next day, the red patch was gone and she was looking much smaller, so I presumed she'd released the rest herself.

Today, the red patch is back, as are many others. She's active, but is now in QT. Her belly is not as paper thin and mushy feeling as it had been. It's not hard, but not squishy. It bounces back if I press it. I'm thinking these marks are something to do with eggs still being in her belly?

image.jpg1_zpshdfn9cpy.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsfy7caz6q.jpg

I have the following meds available;

Metro

Kanaplex

Bifuran

Furan-2

Triple sulfa

Tetracycline

Erythromycin

Aquarium salt

Epsom salt

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) around 40ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 40ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 23 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 180 gallons, running for 8 months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 fx5's

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every 5 days, 95%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago, 95%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 13 goldfish, 3 juvenile (2-3 inches), 10 adults (4-7 inches)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Mainly NLS Thera A 1mm and NLS Algaemax. They get bloodworms with every water change, and are fed veggies (often seaweed sheets) 2-3 times a week. They also get repashy, when if can be bothered to make it

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, 4 days ago. The fish went through 1 month of QT and was treated with kusuri wormer plus. Has shown no sign of sickness.

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The tank itself has not been treated for anything. Cutiebean has not been treated with anything, other than kusuri wormer plus before they were all moved into the 180g

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pink/red patches on body

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No change in behaviour

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lis,

How are you? I hope all will be well with Cutiebean.

What I'd like for you to do for now is to add 1 teaspoon Epsom per 5 gallons of tank water (I know it's twice the normal amount), and leave it there for the duration of whatever treatment that we might come up with.

Before I make any sort of medication suggestion (if that), I would like to know the exact extent of these patches on her. Also, do they look more like flat patches of rashes, or close-together pin pricks?

Awww Cutiebean!!! Get better baby girl!!! And good luck mama bear!!

Hi Lis,

How are you? I hope all will be well with Cutiebean.

What I'd like for you to do for now is to add 1 teaspoon Epsom per 5 gallons of tank water (I know it's twice the normal amount), and leave it there for the duration of whatever treatment that we might come up with.

Before I make any sort of medication suggestion (if that), I would like to know the exact extent of these patches on her. Also, do they look more like flat patches of rashes, or close-together pin pricks?

Hi Alex, I'm not too bad, hope all is well with you! Thank you for responding to my thread.

I will add the Epsom now.

The patches look flat. There are quite a few pin prick type marks, and they're surrounded by a pinkish colour. Do you think this is connected with her being full of eggs for so long?

Here is a better picture of the marks from a few days ago. This had disappeared by the next day after she released some eggs. Now it's back

image.jpg1_zpsjnuxvgls.jpg

Thanks ladies!

She's still her usual rowdy self, but I'm quite worried about her

Sorry that she's not well and I can understand your worry. Fingers crossed for her and you.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it :)

I've had to put a lid on the QT tank because she keeps throwing herself to the top of the tank and getting water everywhere. Glad to see she's not feeling too ill :rofl

:hi Alicia,

Looks like you are being taken care of now.  I will lurk just in case  :peeka

:rofl

You, Lisa, and the regulars should keep watch. I am just going to pop in and out as I can. :P

How is Cutiebean doing, Lis? Alert us if there are big changes in activity level and if there are more of those rashes. Thanks!

Cutiebean is still her usual self, eating well and active :) the red patches are still there, but have not worsened :) I will update with pictures tomorrow :)

I would go ahead and maintain the original dose that I have suggested. Please let us know when it's day 7 or so, because I will have you go down to the regular dose that we use. :)

How is Cutiebean? Are the patches going away/shrinking?

I'd stick with the 1 tsp per 5 gallons as she's only been at that dosage for 2 days, right?  Are you fasting her?  :idont

I would go ahead and maintain the original dose that I have suggested. Please let us know when it's day 7 or so, because I will have you go down to the regular dose that we use. :)

How is Cutiebean? Are the patches going away/shrinking?

Okay, I will add the original dose of Epsom again :) I haven't been fasting (I've fed her once a day) should I cut out food altogether for a while? She was fasted in the main tank for a few days when she first looked big, but it didn't do much.

She's active and hungry. I think the marks have faded, the one on the underside of her belly seems to have disappeared again :)