QT Problems - Red Streaks

I ended up putting all my new fish who had not been medicated at all together in one tank and made that my quarantine tank. Unfortunately, one of them seems to have brought in some sort of problem. I assumed it was probably flukes at first, but now I'm not really sure. I'm noticing on my smallest fish, the ones I've had the longest in there, that there are red streaks appearing in several places. They are under the chin area and up near the dorsal fin -- not on it but on the body just below it. One had a tiny mark like this on his tail, but it seems to be gone now. I tried to get photos, but the fish are small and the tank is large so it's very hard to do. I will keep trying. If I can't get them I'll take them out and try it that way. But basically it looks like a raspberry colored rash in the spots I described. The fish are flicking their fins a bit and do appear to be flashing, but it's not constant. 

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5.0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) I filter all water through a carbon filter. Straight out of tap it is 2.0. After through the filter it is 0.25. It is treated with my water conditioner after filtering. It never goes straight from my tap into the fish tank EVER, even if it were to be treated with a conditioner first. 
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 79 degrees (because that is the coldest I can get it in my apartment)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 gallons, running 7 days, is QT tank at the moment. Was set up with a fully cycled filter off one of my other tanks.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaTop CF400
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Have not changed water yet.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? n/a
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? two 4" goldfish, four 2" goldfish (after QT some will be moved)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Hikari Ultimate Water Conditioner, Aquarium Salt 1 tbsp/5 gallons (I still do not understand the different way you guys dose salt, trying to learn  :help: )
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS goldfish pellets, New Era goldfish pellets, NLS Algae pellets, spinich, peas, frozen daphnia, frozen blood worms, ocean nutrition goldfish flakes (soaked first)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? All are new in the last 5 weeks
  • * Any medications added to the tank? not yet
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. n/a
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? mentioned above in post
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? mentioned above, but flashing some, flicking some, red streaks. Appetite is fine. 

Also, just a note: medications I have on hand include the following: Aqua prazi powder, metronidazole powder from national fish pharmacy, dimilin, quinine sulfate. I use API brand aquarium salt. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

If you feel that 79 degrees is a bit warm for them, ebay and Amazon does sell aqurium fans they clip onto the tank top they are around $20 it can get the temp several degrees cooler. That's probably the least of your worries right now but just thought I would mention for what it's worth

Edited by Cdionne77

I'm a little confused.  You have had all of these fish in the main tank and are now removing them for quarantine?  Where are fish that you have had longer than 5 weeks?   Any bugs the new fish had are now distributed to their tankmates.  

The only thing we treat for in quarantine is flukes, and you can and should  do that for both the new fish and their tankmates. 

Red streaks are a typical response to stress, and that includes the stress of being moved to a new tank.  I wouldn't worry about that in the absence of other symptoms.

No, they were never in the main tank. They were in a smaller quarantine tank, but since they were never treated for anything, I moved them to a larger tank with my other new un-treated fish so that I could treat them all together. 

I've had these fish for about five weeks or so. I now have two other fish in there with them that I just got and have had for about a week. I planned on starting Prazi right away when I noticed this started happening and now want to make sure that is the right thing to do. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I don't see anything too alarming in the pics, but because of the redness, fin flicking and flashing, I would Prazi and salt (0.3%) all of the fish together.  The nice thing is that since you have Aqua Prazi powder rather than liquid Prazipro, you can do Prazi and 0.3% salt simultaneously.  These are pretty standard QT procedures for eliminating several microscopic parasites that often come in with new fish.  You will find links explaining these procedures below my signature :)

I do not understand the salt procedure and I've read it over and over. Is it 1 teaspoon per gallon for 0.1% and 3 teaspoon (1 tablespoon) per gallon for 0.3%?

Yes.

Also, how slow should I put it in? I know it says 0.1% every 12 hrs, but should that be broken down at all, or is that fine to just put in at once in a mesh bag?

Either method is fine.  If you do the 0.1% every 12 hours, predissolve each dose in a container of water before adding it to the tank  :)

If you have a scale I would measure it out. Api aquarium salt and something like Morton canning salt is different in grain size so using a measuring spoon is tricky in dosage I feel...What size tank do you have?

I use the API Aquarium salt. It seems to do okay with the tablespoon size measuring spoon which is 3 tsp. It's a 72 gallon tank with a filter that holds 3 gallons. 

I have a scale, but I don't want to confuse myself by trying to convert measurements.  :teehee

Edited by goldfishgirl82