Any chance of this GF developing a Ryukin hump?

Jim_D

It does have visible potential.

However, I would stress that just because the potential is there does not mean it's definitely going to develop the hump. It's something that takes grooming and a bit of gambling. 

I say go for it if.....you think you will be happy if he developed a hump or not, or if you won't be happy unless you get your humped fish, make sure you still have room to add another fish that does have a hump, then if this one doesn't grow his hump you won't be disappointed.

Ps, I really think this guy is cute

Just to clarify, if it is not a Ryukin, you can't force it to be one.

That is not a fantail.

My ryukin has quite large hump and looked less developed overall than this fish when I purchased her.

qmYt1asl.jpg

Fantails tend to have different flatter bodies when young. :idont

OhuGjqll.jpg

Edited by Chai

I have raised many fantail fry with as much or more hump than the one in the original post. I'm not sure either way. "just saying".

It might be possible that there were ryukin phenotypes in the parental history. :idont

Goldish gonna be goldfish. No sense. :D

• Admin

To be honest in my opinion...that fish looks like it might have a Ryukin gene, but I dont think this fish would be a show quality Ryukin... there just not much of a Hump and the Face isnt quite, well I call it swished to a point...

I would call it a Ryufantail :teehee

To be honest in my opinion...that fish looks like it might have a Ryukin gene, but I dont think this fish would be a show quality Ryukin... there just not much of a Hump and the Face isnt quite, well I call it swished to a point...

I would call it a Ryufantail :teehee

That's what I call my "ryukin" I've purchased from Petsmart.  :rofl   My fantails are definitely fantails but my so called ryukins don't have great humps (which personally I find large humps :scared ).  But I'm not looking for show quality.  I just prefer they don't float or sink.  :lol2

I have some baby ryukins that hatched last April and not all of them have a well devolped humps. Some look similar to this fish. They are still ryukins but not high quality goldfish.

On average (I know this is guestimating) but how old are the 1" fish that we see for sale in petshops?

Rough guess a fancy that is 1" not including tail is 8 to 10 months old. This is based on my observations of fry I have raised from eggs at my house.

Really?  I would say more like 4 or 5 months old.   Mine are all raised outdoors, which might make a difference.  I have some fantails now that are two months old and 1/2 to 3/4" s.l.

Really?  I would say more like 4 or 5 months old.   Mine are all raised outdoors, which might make a difference.  I have some fantails now that are two months old and 1/2 to 3/4" s.l.

This was my estimate as well. :)

My fancies are quite developed by 8 months....

This is to the best of my recollection yes. I could review my old posts and find out exactly but now right now. My most recent fry are from the tamasabas I got from chelseam last year. I made a thread about it. The fish are still under 1" without tail. 

This is to the best of my recollection yes. I could review my old posts and find out exactly but now right now. My most recent fry are from the tamasabas I got from chelseam last year. I made a thread about it. The fish are still under 1" without tail. 

I've found that the Tamas grow a lot slower than even the tama/oranda crosses I had at the beginning of the summer. I have a feeling that this is breed-specific with them.

I've found that the Tamas grow a lot slower than even the tama/oranda crosses I had at the beginning of the summer. I have a feeling that this is breed-specific with them.

Thanks for confirming!

No problem, Jason.

However, any other breed I've tried shows the same growth that Sharon and Cat mentioned. So I think that 4-5mo is a fine estimate of pet store fish. Younger if they haven't lost fry color.