Question about fin regrowth

I'm going to put this out there right away that mods, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it! I'm not quite sure where to put this one. (Not sure if it even belongs in D&D or anything)

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice. A while back my tank came down with the most medication resistant flukes I have ever had the displeasure of meeting! :( Needless to say, by the time I got everything under control I had one fish with the most severely eaten fins I have ever seen. Clyde is healthy now, gets around well and I'm seeing signs of fin growth (the new fin is actually see through!) 

My question is what can I do to help speed up this regrowth process if there is anything at all. So far, the only growth I'm seeing is on the caudal fin, his pectorals and dorsal haven't seen any healing. I'm actually in the process of re-adding prazi to my tank (round three).

any advice is helpful and totally welcome!

Are you 100% sure it was just Flukes.  Usually, flukes only cause splits, slime spots and sometimes redness.  Major erosion is usually caused by a bacterial infections.  It is certainly possible that this started with flukes and progressed to a bacterial infection.  Can you elaborate on how you treated the flukes?  Did you only use Prazi?

The reason I am asking is because if this is a bacterial infection, we need to consider that when recommending a solution for the fin damage.

Are you 100% sure it was just Flukes.  Usually, flukes only cause splits, slime spots and sometimes redness.  Major erosion is usually caused by a bacterial infections.  It is certainly possible that this started with flukes and progressed to a bacterial infection.  Can you elaborate on how you treated the flukes?  Did you only use Prazi?

The reason I am asking is because if this is a bacterial infection, we need to consider that when recommending a solution for the fin damage.

I am so positive. :o

The flukes issue started almost immediately after the introduction of a third fish from a different LFS which I think I didn't end up leaving in quarantine long enough. I had to disassemble the hospital tank after 15 days due to a leak that destroyed the table it was on and with no place to put the fish, it went in the community tank. I had classic signs, flashing, gill redness and diminishing fins on all three fish. I thought I had a tail biter at first until I realized what it was.

The tank was treated (and is still being treated now) with 40 tsp of salt and rounds of prazi. My newest fish just went through a 30 day quarantine and were added in, and now the community tank is being treated one last time for good measure because I'm not taking any more chances.

EDIT: forgot to mention I also bumped up my tank temp to 80F doing 5 day water changes of 90% too

Edited by Artsy Goldfish

Is this a 40 gallon tank?  Asking to see if the salt is at 0.1%.  Are you using Prazipro liquid or a powder?  

Clean water and salt is all you should need if the infestation and/or infection has been cured :)

This is a 45 gallon tank actually :) 
I'm using liquid. And thankfully the tank is cured and no more fish have suffered :) Now I'm just wondering what I can do to get some more tail regrowth! I feel bad for poor clyde

Is this a 40 gallon tank?  Asking to see if the salt is at 0.1%.  Are you using Prazipro liquid or a powder?  

Clean water and salt is all you should need if the infestation and/or infection has been cured :)

Okay. Then, I think the 0.1 % salt and clean water is all you need for fin regrowth. I wouldn't mix anything else in with the Prazipro.

Oh thank goodness. I'm so glad that that's all I need to be doing at this point in time! 

Thank you so much!!!! :) 

I had a fish get suck in a large ornament and destroy a good amount of its wen, dorsal, and tail. It has taken a very long time to grow back. Have patience.

Oh darn! At least I know it'll grow with some patience. Thank you so much! This is reassuring