Getting back into the GF business

I am excited to get a new aquarium started here in my new house! I plan on buying a nice 60g tank with stand today. I have some knowledge on how to start everything because of this forum but just give me some refresher. I know about the cycling but maybe r mind me what I may need? Obviously filters, media for the filters things like that. I wish I had people I know to get some of their established media but unfortunately I do not :( how many gallons of water should the filters clean? Isn't it twice the amount of the water? I'm a little fuzzy but I know someone can assist! Thanks guys! Feels great to be back

The filters should have a 10x filtration amount so if you are buying a 60 gal then no less than 600 gallons per hour on filters... also remember to get pure ammonia to start the cycle and a heater to bring temp to around 76-78 degrees.. Also ammonia should not get any suds when the bottle is shaken up, if it does it will not work

Edited by Cdionne77

Also ceramic rings are great for media, anything in that idea. Aqua Clear filters are great and come with all the media and sponge if you choose that filter, just remember to ditch the carbon. Welcome back to the Goldfish world :)

Welcome back to goldfish! :D

Just thought I'd quickly mention something about filtration since you're thinking of buying today - with goldies, because they produce so much waste, we aim for a filter that will filter 10x your tanks volume per hour. So for a 60 gallon tank you would be looking for something that filters at least 600 gallons per hour. This can be done using multiple filters or just one. I have a canister (Fluval FX6) which filters 3500 litres (925 US gallons) per hour, but I know that lots of US people on here like the HOB filters rather than canisters.

Good luck choosing your tank, setting up a new tank is so exciting :)

10x filtration applies to HOB filters. If you would like to use a canister, it's feasible to aim for 5-7x filtration depending on your stocking levels. I assume you want to be fully stocked, so aim closer to 7x if you're using a canister.