Level a Tank on Uneven Floor?

Acro

I live in an old (beautiful) house.  I've been moving furniture around I've found the perfect tank spot.  However, the floor there is very uneven.  When I place a level tool on the (empty) tank, the bubble goes all the way to the left!  The tank is a 46 gallon Bowfront with a flat bottomed stand. 

How can make this uneven floor work with out putting the structural integrity of the tank and stand at risk?

Just because it's uneven doesn't mean it's not structurally together. I've been dragged through tonnes of old houses and I don't think any of them have had level floors -- building techniques change and there have been some shockingly lazily builders. I went through a house once that actually lacked foundations. :yikes

I'f you're able to get under the floor I would double check none of the joists in the area have succumb to rot.

First do what Dan said and check the floor joists.  Old houses don't have to be unsound to have sagging floors.  Wood has some flexibility.  If you have a basement under the floor in question, you can support the low part of the floor with a beam supported by house jacks.  You can raise the floor only a little bit at a time, so this won't make it immediately level.  

Since the bottom of your stand is flat, You can use shims to level it.  If what touches the floor is fiberboard rather than wood, I'd put a plywood bottom on it so that the shims provide uniform support. 

Our house is lopsided, but theres no structural concern, and it holds the >900 lb tank with no issues. :idont

rf7BVnBl.jpg

This is the most I can hide it, it's usually about an inch difference from the left to the right.

• Admin

When we moved in to our home... We had to go under and see which way the wood floor was going ....Just another tip...We made sure that the tank was across the wood floor and not just under one plank of wood... I hope that made since.. :teehee