Shoot! messed up! what should i do with this frog now?

well i messed up. the ice on the pond has thawed and i could see an upside down frog sprawled out on the bottom. since is was motionless, upsidedown, and just sprawled out funny, i figured it was dead. grabbed my net and pulled it out. then its front leg moved a tiny bit. then it moved a bit more! whoa its alive! so now i have woken this frog from its slumber and have it out of the pond. it is suppksed to be 50 today and 60 tomorrow but it will be back into the 30s again and at night for sure. i set the frog on a rockon the edge of the pond and figured best to let it decide what to do now. any thoughts?

Well here is a follow up... I set it on the rock and went out to check a while later and it had moved a short ways into some rocks. It wasn't looking good and was kinda stiff so I put it back right by the water. Checked on it a while later and it was in the water, still looking all still and dead-like. I really like frogs in my pond so I hope I haven't killed it.

I'm sorry about the froggy :(

Just read this somewhere online:

"I KNOW any of the true "water frogs" WILL go to the bottom of the pond and just "affix themselves" to the bottom however they can and wait it out by going into estivation, similar to hibernation. They lower their metabolism to a point where their heart is barely beating and they're essentially in a state of suspended animation and able to absorb what little oxygen they need through their skin... If there's an extended warm period, they may come to the surface and swim around occasionally, but I wouldn't disturb one that's on the bottom while the weather is still cool, because if it IS still in estivation, its energy reserves may be VERY LOW, and as there really isn't ANYTHING for it to eat this time of year, if you wake it up, it may die for sure using energy swimming around and then trying to go back into estivation and wake up again."

Maybe with the weather being warmer, it will find enough to eat, ready for going back to sleep again in a couple of days :idont

• 1 month later...