Can't Keep Apple Snails Alive

Over the years of my aquatic hobby I've had many apple snails. But I've never been able to keep one alive for more than a few months! It's so frustrating. The local aquarium store just got in some really nice ones and I'm so tempted to buy one, but I don't want to kill it like all the others! 

I've done a lot of research into their care and I think I've been doing everything right, but they keep dying... 

Here's a rundown of the care I have given my apple snails:

Food - Kale, Algae wafers, cucumber, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and whatever natural algae or fish food was left in the tank. I fed them daily how ever much they would eat and then took out leftovers at the end of the day.

Temperature - 76-78 degrees

Tankmates - I've kept them with bettas, guppies, and pest snails (bladder and ramshorn). That's it.

pH - about 7.4

I always did weekly water changes, kept up with maintenance, tested water, etc. Everything was fine... except the apple snails.

Where's my error??

• Supporter

I've kept and breed them with lots of success.

Check copper levels in the water. If you don't have the test you can get a lot of your larger pet stores to do the test for you. Also they like higher gh/kh levels so you might want to invest in that test. API makes a good one.

Lastly I never had luck with petstore snails. Unfortunately they are usually not in good health when you get them. I'd look into getting them from a breeder.

If you do get them from the pet store put them through a QT before you add them to the tank.