New 6 x 18in ordered

Hi everyone. I'm getting a new 6ft delivered in a few weeks! Oh so exited. ????

HOW TO DECORATE!? ????

I am totally stuck.

I know I want to plant it but not sure how to. I was thinking maybe having the sides with black sand and whatever else you need for the plants with a river stone border and having the middle bare bottom.

I also have some scallop shells I could make a border out of. (I need shell grit anyway to stabilize ph)

I could use a neutral sand color in the middle.

Oh I just don't know.

Please send your thoughts and any images that might help.

[emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173]

Edited by dan in aus
Fixed title per request.

Exciting, Louise! You don't really need anything specific for a low tech planted goldfish tank -- sand will work and a root tab or two. Have you looked in to lighting?

You're really lucky being in Melbourne, there are some great planted tank specialty stores with really knowledgable staff. Exotic Aquatic is basically king, they're located in Carnegie (then there is Subscape Aquarium and Nature Aquariums).

Exciting, Louise! You don't really need anything specific for a low tech planted goldfish tank -- sand will work and a root tab or two. Have you looked in to lighting?

You're really lucky being in Melbourne, there are some great planted tank specialty stores with really knowledgable staff. Exotic Aquatic is basically king, they're located in Carnegie (then there is Subscape Aquarium and Nature Aquariums).

OOOH they are all within 45 mins of me.... I can't believe I haven't been to any of them! Have you been there before?

OOOH they are all within 45 mins of me.... I can't believe I haven't been to any of them! Have you been there before?

Jealous! Sadly no, but when I head south next definitely. Adrian (owner of Exotic Aquatic) is very friendly, I've had some email correspondence with him and he ended up doing me a great deal on some stuff. :)

Jealous! Sadly no, but when I head south next definitely. Adrian (owner of Exotic Aquatic) is very friendly, I've had some email correspondence with him and he ended up doing me a great deal on some stuff. :)

Oh great! I had a look at all three website/facebook pages. I'm super exited now! I wish they were open now hahahahaha

I can't wait to set up a tank without a budget! I always just make do with what i've got or with what I can get. 

This time I have experience, I know what size tank suits me and my fish, I know what I can handle in regards to maintenance and I know what kind of substrate/plants my fish are safe with/won't eat too much. 

Just need help with layout, rock scape or driftwood or both, how to keep the plants alive, lighting and whatever else I don't know about lol 

Layouts take a little bit of effort and time. I'd first figure out exactly what materials you want to use and go from there. A good way to go about hardscaping is to do a dry run. You can grab some masking tape and mark up the same dimensions as the tank on the floor. :)

As for lighting I'm not too sure for something that large off the top of my head. I'd probably go with a t5ho unit with multiple switches, that way you don't have to run all of the bulbs. Floating plants will curb light if it proves to be too much. If you do go to EA you could explain what you're planning on doing and maybe they'll have some recommendations. :)

Plan how to do water changes :) Get some hoses and a connector to your sink/shower/whatever is close to the tank, so you can easily fill the tank. Get a pond pump and a hose that fits it, to empty your tank. You will t(h)ank me later :)

Ps. Setting up a 2 meter tank myself :)

Forest themes can be nice, especially in large tanks. Moss usually features pretty heavily in them.

I wanted it to say 'New 6 x 18in ordered' but it auto corrected it to 18th [emoji24]

I fixed it for you. :) Edited by dan in aus

Forest themes can be nice, especially in large tanks. Moss usually features pretty heavily in them.

I wanted it to say 'New 6 x 18in ordered' but it auto corrected it to 18th [emoji24]

I fixed it for you. :)
THANK YOU ????????

Congrats on the large tank. If your fish are stall like mine, the individual substrates will be mixed together in no time.

Haha yeah I'm thinking of leaving the contrast substrate as bare bottom... not sure if that will look good tho.

I dont think it will be too bad... ill find out after doing it lol. I clean the tank every week anyway so I figure it will be added to the list. Either that or i fill in the whole thing later when i change my mind anyway. ????