I'm in a pickle here!

Cdionne77

Here is the situation at hand. A friend of mine called me up says someone she knows has a small GF but can no longer keep it because she found out she has lupus and needs to get rid of it. So my friend thought of me. I told her I really have no room for another fish is there there another person who could take it and of course there isn't. Her friend said she was probably going to have to flush it.... Seriously are people that stupid and heartless. To top it off this fish is in a 10 gallon. I told her I would take it not to flush it.... Now what do I do . I have a 40 gallon with two in there already and a 20Long with the babies in it... I really don't have room for 1 more GF... It's not a comment or common I asked her if it looked like the feeder fish. Help guys I don't know what to do

How big is the fish? I'm sure she will give you the tank. You could keep it in there til you figure out a long term solution . . . . Would a LPS take it?

Edit. FM, get outta my head!!! :rofl3

Edited by fantailfan1

A couple of inches my friend thinks... I did ask her to ask the LFS to take it back I guess she tried doing that they wouldn't take it without her receipt... Sounds dumb but ok... I do have a storage tub I used for skipper and citrus QT when I got them. Guess I'll have to buy another heater and filter...I also asking to see if she knows what kind of fish we are talking about here and maybe some pics

I really should have said no but all I could think of was that poor thing getting flushed and dying slowly from untreated water... And I also think it's cruel to just flush these poor things like they are nothing....

• Helper

I really should have said no but all I could think of was that poor thing getting flushed and dying slowly from untreated water... And I also think it's cruel to just flush these poor things like they are nothing....

Don't worry, I wouldn't have been able to say no either

Lisa I'm sure she would give me the 10 gallon and what ever filter she has but I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I had to put my mastiff Roxy down a month ago and I'm a mess still. One of the reasons why I haven been on here much... Trying to save this little guy is something I don't exactly need right now. I already feel horrible because eventually my babies will out grow their own tank but I'm hoping to convince my hubby to get a 60 or 75 gallon for them :)

I'm gonna take him/her because it's so hard to say no and to know that it will suffer if I don't but can't save them all... Auh I'm such a Debbie downer right now.... Sorry guys

I'd try the lfs route then. It seems to me that some store would take it. :idont. Or put an add on Craigslist. :idont

And I'm really sorry about your dog. I'm certain I will need therapy when the time comes . . .

Edited by fantailfan1

I'd try the lfs route then. It seems to me that some store would take it. :idont. Or put an add on Craigslist. :idont

And I'm really sorry about your dog. I'm certain I will need therapy when the time comes . . .

Thank you... I think I need therapy. She was my big slobbering fur baby and I am litterly sick with grief. I knew the day would eventually come but not this soon

If Craiglist doesn't work, you were very sweet for trying :)

Thank you, I'm just hoping this is a GF... Sometimes people who are not "fish" people really don't even know what they have... All I know right now is that it's black and has a big tail from what my friend remembers of it

Found out the fish is an oranda blue/black in color maybe be getting it tomorrow or Monday. It's still a baby. Still searching for a home. But I have some maybe prospects.

Personally I would try to take all of this person's fish stuff. Tank, filter, food... Everything. Then id throw the fish in the 40b with the other 2 for now. Of course it would be a good idea to QT it in the 10 to observe for a while.

Personally I would try to take all of this person's fish stuff. Tank, filter, food... Everything. Then id throw the fish in the 40b with the other 2 for now. Of course it would be a good idea to QT it in the 10 to observe for a while.

I was thinking of possibly doing that but was unsure because the 40 would be overstocked. Obviously I would keep my eye on water params and up the WC routine even though I do WC every 5 days now and QT is a difinate must...The 2 possible homes I have right now are people with no experience in fish keeping and they said they are last resort if I can not find someone else.

I was thinking of possibly doing that but was unsure because the 40 would be overstocked. Obviously I would keep my eye on water params and up the WC routine even though I do WC every 5 days now and QT is a difinate must...The 2 possible homes I have right now are people with no experience in fish keeping and they said they are last resort if I can not find someone else.

A 40b is commonly accepted on this forum as being closer to about 46 gallons, maybe more with a big filter so you would be around the 15 gallons per fish minimum. It's doable but not ideal :) with small fish it's easy.

A 40b is commonly accepted on this forum as being closer to about 46 gallons, maybe more with a big filter so you would be around the 15 gallons per fish minimum. It's doable but not ideal :) with small fish it's easy.

I have 2 AC 70's in there now which puts me at 600 gph. I'm getting all their equipment but I don't know what filter they have. I have an AC 50 not being used for the 10 gallon if needed... Thanks for all your input it puts my mind at ease having more options

I had 3 in my 40 for quite some time.  Then when I got a 4th (Waddles :lol2 ) I upgraded to a 75, only to get 2 more fish (I blame Jared :rofl ).  I am technically overstocked.  However, I just checked my nitrate this week.  It was between 10-20.  I do one very large (Bobbie's dorsal sticks out :peeka ) WC and clean one filter per week. 

If you were a complete newbie, I'd be hesitant.  What you may lack in experience/time in the hobby :teehee , you more than make up for in your attention to detail. 

It may not be the ideal situation (for either of us :D ) but it's much preferred to flushing.  :yikes

:bighug

I had 3 in my 40 for quite some time.  Then when I got a 4th (Waddles :lol2 ) I upgraded to a 75, only to get 2 more fish (I blame Jared :rofl ).  I am technically overstocked.  However, I just checked my nitrate this week.  It was between 10-20.  I do one very large (Bobbie's dorsal sticks out :peeka ) WC and clean one filter per week. 

If you were a complete newbie, I'd be hesitant.  What you may lack in experience/time in the hobby :teehee , you more than make up for in your attention to detail. 

It may not be the ideal situation (for either of us :D ) but it's much preferred to flushing.  :yikes

:bighug

Awe Lisa thank you