Favorite Food Tricks?

I thought we might compile our favorite tricks in regards to feeding here.

For example:

I like to feed my fish slower-digesting foods as the last meal of the day so that they have all night to digest them without interruption. (I.e. animal-based foods and/or pellets)

I feed mine like I feed myself...Carbs early in the day and protein at night :rofl

Morning - Comprehensive - Sinking Pellets (NLS Thera-A or Hikari Lionhead)

Midday - Aquatic veggie - Repashy Super Green

Evening - Protein - SFB Frozen Bloodworms

One thing you'll notice is that I feed FBW as a staple not an occasional treat.  I also prefer to feed them aquatic vegetation rather than terrestrial veggies.  This meal plan has yielded the best results for my fish with regards to health, growth, development and buoyancy.

Breakfast - Hikari Lionhead pellets

Lunch - Saki Hikari pellets

Dinner - Repashy soilent green plus a cube of FBW every other day.

Also peas and leafy veg on a veggie clip are thrown in there whenever there's any going spare. Spinach is their fave :)

Oh and they love the shrimp pellets from the Goldfish Connection, but they're quite big pellets so I just throw a couple in every now and then as a treat. I've got a massive bag so it should last a while... but I am worried that the piggies might start a riot when I run out and can't get any more! :lol

Oh and they love the shrimp pellets from the Goldfish Connection, but they're quite big pellets so I just throw a couple in every now and then as a treat. I've got a massive bag so it should last a while... but I am worried that the piggies might start a riot when I run out and can't get any more! :lol

I think Omega One makes a decent Shrimp Pellet :)

I feed mine like I feed myself...Carbs early in the day and protein at night :rofl

Morning - Comprehensive - Sinking Pellets (NLS Thera-A or Hikari Lionhead)

Midday - Aquatic veggie - Repashy Super Green

Evening - Protein - SFB Frozen Bloodworms

One thing you'll notice is that I feed FBW as a staple not an occasional treat.  I also prefer to feed them aquatic vegetation rather than terrestrial veggies.  This meal plan has yielded the best results for my fish with regards to health, growth, development and buoyancy.

I whole-heartedly agree with this method. DOWN WITH PEAS!  :thumbdown And up with daily FBW! 

:teehee

Edited by ChelseaM

I focus on aquatic based foods (minimal or ZERO wheat, rice, bran, soy, etc.) and I also make my gel food, there's no recipe. :D

Some impassioned opinions here. I'm still just learning  :blush:  

I have a pond, and since our temp/air/water gets A LOT colder at night (max diurnal fluctuation here in Santa Rosa) I don't feed the slower digesting high-protein stuff late, as that is when their metabolism is slowing down for the evening.

I agree that keeping the food aquatic is best: Agar, nori, bonito, blood worms, brine shimp, krill.  I supplement Omega 3 & 9 fish oil as an ingredient in their home-made gel food.

However my guys are in a pond, and get PLENTY of natural midges, mosquito larvae, etc. (heh - that's their JOB!)   So my homemade food emphasizes non protein supplements and vitamins that might otherwise be lacking: I prefer edamame to peas (lower sugar, from what I've gathered) and wheat germ in the spring.

I drop food in slowly with mandatory "chew time" to avoid the feeding frenzy. And I really try to break up the gel pieces into tiny seed-size bits, because agar can be hard to chew if you use too much, so can krill. Soak everything well. 

Edited by mysterygirl