PraziPro and salt

mickeyrom

This is for the "for all it's worth" dept.

I talked to the manufacturers yesterday, and they said that salt and prazipro are not compatible. He said that the salt undoes the benefts of the medicine. In other words, it neutralizes it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in seeing documentation stating how this happens from them.

Prazi and Salt have been used for years, even found in reference books from 1930 and prior, but I presume they mean specifically prazi pro in this case.

Edited by Chai

There's an old thread on this somewhere.

It's interesting to note that the PraziPro bottle says it's for freshwater or marine aquariums. If salt isn't compatible with the medication, how does it work in saltwater aquaria then?

It's interesting to note that the PraziPro bottle says it's for freshwater or marine aquariums. If salt isn't compatible with the medication, how does it work in saltwater aquaria then?

That's what I was wondering.  :lol2

This here is what I would like to know as well.

E2A: 

Here, on their website, it says the following: 

Liquid PraziPro is a ready-to-use, liquid concentrate that was developed to offer the hobbyist an effective way to control unwanted parasites in their pond, freshwater or marine aquarium. 

Edited by ChelseaM

I talked to the manufacturers yesterday, and they said that salt and prazipro are not compatible. He said that the salt undoes the benefts of the medicine. In other words, it neutralizes it.

The manufacturer being "Hikari" :idont

I called the phone number on the bottle.

I'm afraid that individual gave you some bad information.  This medicine is for use in marine systems as well as freshwater systems, so obviously it is okay to use with salt.  However, this begs the question:  If it is okay to use it in a saltwater tank where the salt concentration is around 1/2 cup per gallon, then why do we feel the need to double dose it when we add only 1 Tablespoon of salt per gallon (0.3%)?

Hmm that is odd if it says freshwater & Marine water fish :hummm But you were told no salt.

Is Marine Salt like "Instant Ocean" different than the "API Freshwater Aquarium salt" and the "Morton's Canning/pickling salt" that many of us use? I know Epsom Salt is a different kind so that is why I ask :idont

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Hmm that is odd if it says freshwater & Marine water fish :hummm But you were told no salt.

Is Marine Salt like "Instant Ocean" different than the "API Freshwater Aquarium salt" and the "Morton's Canning/pickling salt" that many of us use? I know Epsom Salt is a different kind so that is why I ask :idont

For Marine Salt, there is a mineral content and grain size difference, but the amount of NaCl in marine tanks is still higher than 0.3%.

Epsom Salt is altogether different.  It is Magnesium Sulfate not Sodium Chloride.

I'm afraid that individual gave you some bad information.  This medicine is for use in marine systems as well as freshwater systems, so obviously it is okay to use with salt.  However, this begs the question:  If it is okay to use it in a saltwater tank where the salt concentration is around 1/2 cup per gallon, then why do we feel the need to double dose it when we add only 1 Tablespoon of salt per gallon (0.3%)?

Like I said, "for all it's woth". If it's worth nothing, ignore it, I know what the man said and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I wish I would have thought of asking him about salt water use, but I didn't. I may call them next week and ask for an explanation.

For Marine Salt, there is a mineral content and grain size difference, but the amount of NaCl in marine tanks is still higher than 0.3%.

Epsom Salt is altogether different.  It is Magnesium Sulfate not Sodium Chloride.

Ok. But that is a good question of why you cant add salt, but it is OK to use for Marine tanks. Plus the idea of why double dose with goldfish at 0.3 when you don't with marine water fish at 1/2 cup per gallon of water. Confusing.

Maybe someone needs to call the company back and ask about these things?

Here is the reply I received today:

Chelsea – Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products.  It is likely the question was based on a question related to use in a freshwater environment with salt added to the water.  There is no issue with marine salt which has a different composition.

The Hikari Customer Service Team

I have asked for further elaboration and am hoping for a reply, as this still makes little sense. I just thought I would keep everyone updated.  

Chelsea – Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products.  It is likely the question was based on a question related to use in a freshwater environment with salt added to the water.  There is no issue with marine salt which has a different composition.

I have asked for further elaboration and am hoping for a reply, as this still makes little sense. I just thought I would keep everyone updated.  

Thank you for doing this. Chelsea.  We are arguing about this behind the curtain :rofl

Thank you for doing this. Chelsea.  We are arguing about this behind the curtain :rofl

I thought Alex had talked about this before, and that's why the doubling rule came into effect. But I can't find the threads. :o

No problem. :)

Even more confused than before :no:  Makes me feel like I should re Prazi my fish all over again without salt this time :doh11:

Perhaps it has something to do with why a lot of us find powder prazi to be more effective...?

Oooooooooorrrrrr ... They have no idea what they're telling us. :rofl3

Marine salt does have a different composition, but at the very base of it, even marine salt contains NaCl, the very stuff that supposedly interferes with Prazipro.

So, let's take this one step at a time:

1) the company says that the product doesn't work with salt, but yet markets the same product for saltwater treatment. This is an inconsistency

2) many many of us of use Prazipro WITH salt, and the combo seems to work fine. It's true that most of us don't actually check for flukes under the scope, but we do see cessation of symptoms.

Simply put, I have trouble believing this assertion, based on the own experience, and from the nonsensical answer.

But of course, use of salt is always optional, and so you can always leave it out.

And then of course use of liquid praziquantel is also optional, since we have a variety of other options.

It's times like this that I feel like perhaps we should just throw the bottle away and buy powder or tablets, since THOSE are not finicky and even are thought to be more effective.

But of course, we are all just working in hypotheticals. :)

Now I have more bad news. Gracie, the healthy one has a red spot on one of her gills. Just noticed it tonight. Water was tested just this evening and all perameters are excellent. For 5 days they were on 0.1 salt plus Prazi, and the 60% water change and resumed Prazi without salt. Turned off heater and now it's about 70F. I am at my wits end. Should I start over again with another water change, or am I just spinning my wheels in a lost cause.

Edited by mickeyrom