Salt tank as freshwater?

Niki

I was hoping to get some help as I just bought a tank that was drilled or bought as a salt water tank. It has a black shaft in one corner that has a hole in the bottom of the glass....I thought I was getting a deal but but now I'm not even sure I can use the tank.

Is there anyway I can transform this tank into a useable freshwater tank?

sorry that it is dirty, I still have to clean everything.....

side view

51B9C41C-85B6-4865-AE28-EEEE17506877_zps

top view, both holes are right through the glass.....

47A1208C-25F5-441F-942D-29AF64691AFC_zps

Any information would be helpful as I know nothing about salt water tanks or how they work.

If I were to guess it looks like one hole is for taking water out of the tank and one hole is for pumping water back into the tank from a "sump tank" I think that's what it is call.

But I don't need any of that for freshwater so how would I "plug" the holes to use the tank? BCD I would assume that's a lot of weight once it's filled with water

The tank is setup for a sum.  And using sump filtration is wonderful for goldfish!  I'd say you lucked out.  I'd suggest looking up "freshwater sump setup" or "using a sump for freshwater" or something like that.  You don't want to go with saltwater sump advice since they use extra things we don't need.

From what I know, the black column is used to hide some of the filtration stuff and prevent fish from being sucked in.  The holes on the bottom are for a drain line and a return line. 

You can choose what size sump you prefer, but like any filter, the bigger the better.  For the sump, you can use a smaller aquarium or a storage tub or something else that holds water.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do!

One last thing . . . how did you buy a tank and not realize it was a sump tank?  :P

Edited by Acro

When I looked at the tank, it was stored in a dark corner, I didn't see the section for the sump and he offered to deliver it to me and I was just so excited I said yes!!! (If you knew me I buy the wrong thing all the time, it could be smithing small like the wrong brand of something, but this is normal for me) lol

I guess I will research sumps today and this weekend. It's pretty dirty nd will take me a couple of days to clean.

If I do go with a sump the only tank I hve is the 40g that is occupied by the fish ment for this tank. I'm not very handy so I'll need to figure everything out before they make the move.

I guess it kind is a lucky find! I should be thankful and not gripe about it....just was disappointed I couldn't clean and set up right away, now to research and buy the extras that I'll need (hoping to have this up and running before my month long vacation) I have someone available to do water changes but he won't want to do as many as I would and my tank is way over stocked ATM. Water is hard to keep stable (hence the bigger tank)

I hope everything will be quick and easy to set up for you that you can get perfect before you leave.

Thank you :-)

I know nothing about sumps really, I rea a bit and wow! There's a lot o info out there!

Does anyone know what kind of return pump I would need? Names of brands and gph?

Also how does the draining pluming work for not overflowing the sump?

I just tried the "search" function of this website.  And I found this for you:  http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/blog/29-a-sizeable-undertanking/

I only went up to page 2, I'm sure you could find even more info if you searched farther.  This website has lots of good info, just gotta search it out sometimes.  ;)

Good Luck.