Any suggestions on how to lower canister intake tube?

I'd really like to lower the far left and far right intakes a lot closer to the bottom as you can see in the paint drawing below. Any suggestion on how to do it? The Eheim uptake tubes are 16mm OD.

16756320996_8eddccb4b2_b.jpg

I don't think there's too much drama with Eheims and sand because the impellor housing is on top and the tank water enters from the bottom and the sand can't get through the media layers. (anyway I'm hoping that's the case!).

With hardware bought PVC pipe I'm not sure if it's food grade? permanently submersed (or even when it ages) its always gone white and under water feels a little slimey. 

Edited by Jim

People use PVC pipes in aquariums all the time, especially those with sumps.

Didn't even think of conduit :blink:!!!!  What a dunce. :blink:

I'll see what they stock ...... hopefully something in white or light grey that's the perfect size.

Shouldnt have aby issues with the pvc.

If you cant find the correct size get your hands on a an expansion tool. Or swagging tool?

Then get close to the size and adjust accordingly.

Otherwise a heat gun to heat the end and something the same size as the tube. Then onve hot enough (practice makes perfect) and push the piece in carefully, cool the pipe slightly and remove the temporary piece and allow to fully cool before re testing.

I have an extension that brings it to about that (my extension is an Aquaclear 70 tube hahHahahaha...) and its been working ok so far. I have a thick layer of sand so I'm not sure I'd bring it lower... Fish do spit sand right near intakes quite often. :yikes