One fish, two fish

QandD

I am planning to use this blog to document what I've learned and what I hope to still learn after keeping goldfish for 7 years now. It might be more wordy than other blogs here, but perhaps oddly I find my goldfish to inspire a lot of thought in me that either isn't comprehensible or interesting to friends and family who view fish--and especially goldfish--as some kind of pseudo-living screensaver. 

So, a few thoughts to start: I think part of the pleasure of this hobby is both the capacity to experiment and the pleasure in keeping things steady; that is, on the one hand, I'm (and I'm sure most all fish keepers) always interested in giving my fish a better life: better food, better things to "do" in the tank (like plants or new substrate), better filters, better health management. On the other, there's pride in have rock-solid parameters, a rock-solid routine, etc. 

I think I've leaned toward the former rather than the latter in my attempts to make my goldfish happy. Lately, during my first fish Queenie's last few days and now her death, I've been on a near-paranoid spending spree to improve, well, anything and everything in my 29-gallon tank for Duchess, my remaining fish and her former tank mate. I've gotten another AquaClear 70 today in the hope of having really REALLY clean water, and the plants I had bought when Q was still alive seem to be doing much better than the previous plants I've and they've killed with varying degrees of pleasure, of course. That's probably because I bought a T5 lamp in the past couple of months, changed the substrate to black Tahitian moon sand, and am using root tabs and Flourish comprehensive. I've started a QT for a potential new fish (hence the "two fish" of this blog title) once I get everything right in the main tank. I'm concerned that D is getting lonely and stressed. So I think I am doing some things right, thanks to Erik Johnson and the Internet.

But it's still not enough--D has a mark on her tail that I don't like the looks of, and my instinct is to swab her with H2O2 and salt her, but I can't because of the plants. Trade offs. I read about goldfish altogether too much and still can't seem to make things "perfect." Especially since Q died I have been feeling guilty about not having learned quickly enough the proper ways to take care of goldfish. She spent the first two years of her life in a 10-gallon tank that was horrendously maintained; she was my ex's fish for a year until I intervened when her tankmates all died or were essentially severely compromised from ammonia poisoning. She was always charming: intelligent, active, and beautiful. She was always gentle with other fish despite her vigor. She transformed from a little round red girl into a white fish with long, long fins nearly overnight once I bought her a 29-gallon tank and at least tried to control their water parameters. I am still not very good at keeping their, or I guess Duchess's, water chemistry right. I've had the biofilter die a few times, probably due to something stupid and over-zealous I did, or from bad luck power outages, columnaris, etc. But I suppose that as much as I want to make the fish happy, I also want to have some control over how long they live, especially given much quoted average lifespans of 10-20 years. I feel oddly competitive with nature, I suppose, even though it's their lives, and ultimately they will pass away when they have to, water quality or not.

But in further entries I will try to document getting to know D better even though I have had her for 5.5 years, and also documenting getting a new companion for D once I have a stable QT. I realize now that Queenie was always my focus, and according to my boyfriend, a bit of an obsession especially when she spent the last two years of her life in fragile health. Even in the past few days I've noticed things about D that had never occurred to me. She is also a gentle fish and was laying beside Q when she died. She's smarter than I've ever given her credit for. She seems, for example, to understand pointing (??). And I look forward to learning new things at the same time I try to keep things stable.

[img]http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q563/Lompoc727/D%20and%20quarantine%20tank%203.10.2015_zpsjcojdtwd.jpg[/img]

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG_2450_zpstzyw8nr5.jpg

Duchess--finally figured out how to include photos in with text. 

IMG_2454_zpsuu4bskfg.jpgHere is her speck of orange. 

For some reason my tank photos never come out well (probably the lighting) but I'll try to improve them. 

Here is my tank set-up. Finally managed to get some pictures that weren't completely terrible. The algae is unsightly but Duchess LOVES it. 

IMG_2458_zps3cfvusnj.jpg

Part 2

IMG_2460_zpszmqyd5zk.jpg

And just one more for the heck of it: D with her QT underneath. 

D%20and%20quarantine%20tank%203.10.2015_

I think it is great that you are continually trying to learn more about properly caring for your Goldfish.  Most of us have made plenty of mistakes and that is just part of the learning process.  

I like your set up.  The one comment I have is that you may want to watch that the current from the two AC 70s isn't too much for Duchess in the 29 gallon.  600 GPH is a bit much for that tank, so you might want to put them on the low flow setting :idont

If you are concerned about the spot on her tail, start a separate thread in the D&D section, fill out the form and post some pictures of the spot.  We will be happy to help you :)

Hi Jared, thanks for the comments and concern about the 2 AquaClears. I have them turned down quite a bit, and D seemed to be doing OK. I decided to get a second HOB filter since every time I rinse out the main filter (with tank water, of course), I seemed to have a bump in ammonia. I've had some problems with trace ammonia readings for the past 2 years (as in between 0-.25ppm), so I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. 

I realize that one big solution would be to up the percentage of my water changes, but I frankly don't know how to do something like a 90% or 70% water change without tanking D out of the tank--which she HATES and shows that she is really fast and really resistant. Once she knocked a scale off while evading me. It hasn't grown back. I have a Python, but it doesn't have great suction (in my experience), and I don't know how you're supposed to de-chlorinate the water you'd pump into the tank before it hits the fish, plants, and BB. Maybe I am just missing something or stupid. 

Re: D's tail. I'll try to get some photos but I think it's mild fin rot from stress. I'm on day 3 of Melafix and it doesn't seem to be spreading. 

Today: 40% water change and huge water change on my QT, since I overdosed the tank with ammonia. 

I've been doing 40-50% water changes lately with buckets. It takes a bit of time, but I get some weightlifting out of it! But it's still annoying to be honest, since I have been doing partial water changes every day since I am still reading .25 ammonia and suspiciously low nitrates. 

Every water change seems to be an adventure lately.

I did another 50% water change today and a 90% water change for QT tank. I massively overdosed the QT with ammonia in my impatience to get the proper 4 ppm reading and instead got some kind of crazy off the charts reading. This morning after the water change the QT read between 1-2 ppm. I had ordered a large syringe to try to be more precise in my dosing--a calculator I found online suggested that 1 mL per gallon at my tank's temperature would raise the ppm by 1 point. Then I realized that the syringe couldn't access the ammonia in my jug, so stupidly I poured some into a bucket for nasty fish chemicals/waste water and almost knocked myself out with the fumes. Then in my chemical haze I squirted some ammonia from the syringe onto the towels that are under my QT and got some on my bare hand that has a cut on it. So I ran around the house like a crazy person with a jug of vinegar to try to neutralize everything.  :yikes  

The syringe is now as full as it will need to be for the rest of the fishless cycle, so hopefully I won't be inflicting anymore brain damage onto myself. 

Also, today in D&D I got good advice about buffering my fresh water to match my tank's pH. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before. I've ordered a small piece of rounded driftwood to try to lower my tank pH from 8.2-8.0 to the mid-7's--which according to LiveAquaria should be better for my plants anyway. In the mean time I used some GoldBuffer to try to raise my freshwater a bit; I was happy to have it on hand since I'd once experienced a pH crash in the midst of a fish-in cycle (after my BB was killed by antibiotics). My banker's box/fish arsenal seems to be paying off. 

Additionally, I apparently had dosed my PraziPro incorrectly. After watching a video elsewhere on this site about a fish swimming and behaving oddly, I am wondering now if Queenie died of flukes. The erratic swimming is very similar and toward the end of her life she was breathing heavily. I feel a bit stupid that she might have died from something so treatable. I'm glad that the little comet in the video got better, though. 

So anyway, I started the six-round Prazi schedule on Duchess. Right now I'm dosing Melafix but I think I will stop it, since her tail doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I guess not getting worse is a good thing, but she's had the spot for a while, so this doesn't surprise me too much. Also, I am debating doing a .1% salt concentration despite the presence of aquarium plants. I figure I would rather lose some plants that are fairly recent acquisitions anyway than pass up an opportunity to de-stress Duchess. Still, I'm happy that the plants are doing well--I'd tried growing plants in gravel substrate many times before to no avail. Plus, the plants were expensive and I have been spending a lot of money on my tank lately. Right now I have wisteria, java fern, and dwarf hairgrass; I think that the java fern could handle .1% salt, but I don't know about the others. My wisteria lost a lot of leaves when I put it in the tank, so it seems pretty sensitive (the leaves are growing back). If I had some kind of substrate in my QT I would just move them over there. When I've tried to QT plants in buckets in the past, the water has gotten so cold that they mostly died off, too. I am using my cheapo heater for the QT right now, so I can't put it in a bucket. Dilemmas. 

Updating already: I decided to dose .1% salt and to keep an eye on the plants. D seems lethargic and sat a little on the bottom after the Prazi and salt dose, but I hope that's to be expected.. If she doesn't perk up in the next several hours I will be concerned. She's also acting a little needy since she keeps hanging around one part of the tank that is closest to me and my desk, where I spend most of my time (I work a lot from home). She isn't clamping her fins though.

I've also been taking a lot of pictures of her lately since I'm sorry that I didn't get more photos of Q before she passed away. Part of me wishes she'd become more orange again, but I don't know if color changes can or do occur after 5.5 years. But of course I do love white goldfish! And her little orange dot on her forehead is cute. I wish I could get better quality photos of her; I think I just don't know how to use my camera very well. So basically I love all the beautiful pictures on this site and want to know how all of you have shot them!

I don't think I'm ever going to use Melafix again. In addition to being more or less ineffectual on D's fins, when I put in the PraziPro and salt, she began to act even more out of it and seemed to have trouble breathing. I decided to run some carbon to get the Melafix out (I realize that I will have to redose Prazi tonight but that's fine) and she is super active and happy again, back to "gardening" her plants and trying to eat the algae on the tank walls. Now that's the busy girl I like to see!

Two pictures from today after she cheered up:

20150313_182537_zpsd9rnn6qv.jpg

In this one you can see her sad tail better. But I still think she is lovely.

20150313_182256_zpsfcr6b9vl.jpg

A glorious morning for water parameters!

Ammonia was 0 ppm for the first time in a while--usually it has been .25 ppm and I have done a big water change for fear of stressing Duchess's sad tail. Now that I'm trying to do the fix round Prazi cycle, though, I know I will have to refrain from WC's until the 17th, which might be good for my sanity. I've also seen on the water quality forum to just dose extra Prime when I have trace ammonia to let the BB establish itself more strongly. 

Additional parameters:

Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
QT ammonia: holding strong at 4 ppm. I am so happy to have finally gotten the dosage correct. I was really sick of changing that stinky ammonia water. I felt like a southern belle on the verge of getting vapors. 

My plants seem to be handling the .1% salt solution adequately. I dusted their leaves of sand, dosed a small amount of Flourish Comprehensive and a VERY small amount of Excel today in order to encourage them to stay the course, in case they are slurping up my nitrates as was suggested at the D&D forum!  :flex: My algae has been growing back a bit, too, but until everything gets stable I'm not going to do Phosguard again to pretty-up the tank. Plus I think it might be a good sign that my BB is getting happier, and D will have more algae treats on the way. I'm also looking forward to getting some polished driftwood (a small piece) for my pH. I will try to fill all of its holes with plants to stave off Duchess's inquisitiveness. I know that the current decor of my tank leaves much to be desired, but once it's stabilized, but I want to give D enough swimming room. The wisteria looks so sad, but I see little buds of new leaves. 

Duchess has been very active this morning--probably more active than I've seen her in a while, even before Queenie's death. Maybe the salt and Prazi are exactly what she needed. She's swimming at all levels of the tank, and was AT ATTENTION when I emerged from my bedroom this morning. It was feeding go time in her mind. She's always been a hungry girl, but she was focused like she used to be and a bit amusingly impudent, like when she mimes chewing/eating at me in addition to doing her wiggle dance. Yes, yes! I know! Roger that, Duchess! 

I tried out some Hikari bloodworms in addition to her 1-2 "regular goldfish" NLS pellets that she inhales, and she seems to like them decently. I wouldn't say that they inspire the frenzy that brine shrimp, wall algae, or peas do. But maybe she'll get more used to them. Later today she will get some algae, or maybe I'll try some cooked spinach. In the past she has had reservations about spinach--not sure why. Maybe if I cook it more she'll be more inclined to slurp it up. 

Otherwise, all systems are go: she is doing well with the 2 Aquaclear 70's and an air stone; she has always been a strong swimmer. She has been yawning some, but I think that is to be expected with PraziPro and salt--right?  I'm also keeping her water levels pretty high to try to modify the current. No perceivable change in her tail but I'll take her boosted swimming speeds and sass any day!  I am more confident that she'll be able to give any future baby goldfish a run for his or her money. 

Maybe I will be able to focus on something other than goldfish for the first time in a week. :fishtank Spring Break has started, so I ostensibly I should have a good block of time to work on my dissertation. But... goldfishgoldfishgoldfish. I'll probably brave the dismal rain here and go to the university library where I don't have WiFi access to make myself double-down on Coleridge. Anyway. Off topic.

Because Duchess doing better, I think my brain will come back online once I manage to bury Queenie, too, who has been waiting in the freezer. Let's say I'm SUPER grateful my roommate doesn't cook and spends most of his time in his room with takeout and his XBox. I've been waiting for the ground to thaw a bit, and I want to take her to a park overlooking the Hudson. I think she would have liked that.

More good parameters today, although Duchess seems a bit down. She isn't clamping her fins, but she is still yawning periodically, a bit slower in her general swimming but easily startled into spurting around the tank, and inclined to hide in the plants.  I haven't seen her flashing, unless swim-sprints count. Her gills seem pretty bright red, but she is predominantly white so I'm not sure if this is to be expected. No change in her tail. Considering that my parameters are good, I imagine that she is responding to the salt and Prazi. But right now she is alternating between filter-intake sponges for a nibble and checking with me to see if I'll feed her more food. She is always an optimist!  :D 

Main tank parameters (mostly for my own records): 

Ammonia: 0 ppm--not a hit of green!

pH: 7.6

QT tank parameters:

Ammonia: 4.0 ppm (no change)

Didn't test pH

My plants are doing OK, too, with the possible exception of the dwarf hairgrass, which be yellower than I remember from a couple days ago. But if it's the only plant I lose, so be it. 

Yesterday after work I went to a LFS in Manhattan that had gotten very good reviews on Yelp. I was pleased that it had some many people in it, though I suppose it was a Saturday, and to find a store entirely devoted to fish. There used to be a store quite near my house, but it closed due to lack of interest in the community and moved to a different place in Queens. I would have loved to buy a new fish from them, but I had no room at the time. 

Anyway, the state of the tanks at this Manhattan LFS compared to the one formerly near my house was pretty striking. I hadn't wholly appreciated how well the tanks were maintained by the other fish store when I went on my fish-visits after a bad day or to get an air stone or something. It was disappointing to see tanks full of all kinds of goldfish of different sizes where every tank seemed to be infected with, from what I could tell, flukes. The ones who were alert were real sweethearts, too. 

I like little tiny fish, so I spent most of my time ogling the baby ryukin tank, and there was a little male calico fish who was extremely excited about people. It's too bad he is male since I am only in the market for a female fish to be Duchess's friend. There were other very cute little calicos--they were so tiny! Like little speckled quail eggs swimming around. But I'd prefer not to buy a fish from a diseased tank if I can help it. I'm going to check out the Petsmart when I get a chance, but I imagine that those tanks might not be well-maintained either. On the other hand, both Duchess and Queenie were purchased from a Petsmart baby-tank for something like $2.99, so perhaps I should remain optimistic. I like to meet a fish to see its temperament before purchasing, but if the LFS's around here are only carrying sick fish, I think I am going to have to be more open to purchasing a baby online. The only source I really know of is LiveAquaria/DFS which is where I buy my plants. 

I wonder if anyone here would have recommendations as to where to consider buying a little goldfish, ideally a calico fantail?

I realized today that I forgot to thank the helpful and nice comments on my blog--so thank you!

Today I am a bit anxious since I would like to do a water change, but based on the PraziPro schedule I have to wait until tomorrow. I am noticing some detritus in the tank and would normally want to suck it up right away, but oh well. The medicine is more important. Buuuut I really want to remove that poo. 

I'm not sure if the wisteria is dying or what. Some of the stems sections seem to not be doing well, but other parts of the stem are growing new leaves. I've pruned and replanted the healthy stems and cut away the parts that have just turned stringy and not great looking. I am thinking of cutting away some of the yellowed leaves of my dwarf sagittaria (I don't know why I was calling it hair grass when it is definitely not hair grass--oops); I hope it isn't dying so much as adjusting to all of the changes. It doesn't really seem to be spreading, though. I imagine that the light salt concentration and higher than 7.5 pH don't help. 

Speaking of pH, my mopani driftwood came today (a small piece, about 4x5x3 inches), and it is currently soaking for day 2. It hasn't leached any tannins so far as I can tell, and I am tempted just to relandscape and put it in. Impulsiveness! I'm going to try to restrain myself for a whole week if need be--it's not quite saturated to sink to the bottom, it seems, so I am weighing it down with a Pyrex measuring cup with the hope that it'll stay there. I also should probably just wait until a big water change so things are nice and clean when it goes in. I am thinking of putting my airstone underneath it and trying to thread some java fern through its more curved bits to deter Duchess and any future fish from too much exploration. I am thinking that I should boil the driftwood today to sterilize it since my paranoia (and impatience) know no bounds!

Yesterday I was also looking at fish online based on the recommendations of a Facebook group of which I am a member. I was kind of shocked at the prices of adult fish! Of course they are very handsome and well-grown and probably not carrying any illnesses, but I think I will be sticking to looking for babies or young juveniles! I don't make much money, and besides, it is fun to watch them and help them grow up. 

All of the pretty orandas on this site also make me wonder if I would like one instead of a fantail. They seem quite hardy and are very cute, but I am concerned that I wouldn't know what to do if their wen were to become injured or something like. I've never dealt with a fish that has head-growth, so I'm also wondering if I would somehow stunt Future Fish. I'm also wishing that I could get a bigger tank, but my apartment is way too small. Frequent water changes it is!

Parameters today: 
Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: didn't test it

Nitrate: 0 ppm

pH: >7.6

Didn't bother to test QT ammonia since I think it's probably way too early to tell. 

Gratuitous grumpy fish photo. "I don't like medicine! Or eating less! None of this!"

20150316_141107_zpsi0ylqc2e.jpg

"Well, fine then."

20150316_141207_zpsqhf3hwlz.jpg

White dots in the photo aren't present IRL. I think they are bubbles or something.

So I am in the process of boiling the driftwood, and boy is it ever leaking tannins and sinking like a stone! Seems like the right idea! I have about an hour to go and then I think I am going to change the water and boil it some more. 

After watching some videos about tying rhizome plants to driftwood, I think I am going to do my best to do that with my java fern. I'm worried about planting them in the sand, since invariably the rhizome has to be or becomes covered over. 

I also did a freehand future tankscape, where I move the little faux-brick wall and try to make the driftwood a center piece. Duchess isn't to scale, though!

1f59cfdf-8d3a-4b4c-9de5-8fd1c2f82aae_zps

It's a busy day to be Duchess today. I did around a 75-80% water change, which is really my first time doing such a significant one short of the 3 times I've moved in the last 5.5 years of D's life. I also gave one of the Aquaclear base sponges a little squeeze in tank water, since the top of the filter was starting to lift and the flow was low for being at maximum capacity. I also rinse the intake sponges pretty regularly, but I am leaving the newer filter completely alone. I am keeping the salt concentration at around 1-1.5%, and she seems to be feeling well. I also put in the driftwood after 5 hours of boiling and no tannins leeched during an overnight bucket-sitting, and I managed to tie my java fern to it!  

20150317_113742_zpserlmzl2d.jpg

I'm very glad that my piece of Mopani turned out to not be very pointy at all. I put the rougher bits down toward the sand, tucked a small smooth rock into a crevice that might be interesting to D or Future Fish, and moved my bubble wand toward the curved piece of wood and tied ferns there to make it hard for D to make inquiries. I also tried to position it so that it wouldn't pin any fish to the aquarium wall if she were to try to scoot past it. The same went for my faux-brick wall, although that is very smooth, when I moved it to the other side of the tank. I think the tank's end result looks much better than my sketch, although it's a lot bubblier! I'm trying to make sure I have a lot of surface movements so that D gets enough oxygen to keep the nasty kinds of bacteria lower and to help her breathe in the midst of 75 degree temps, salt, and gill medications.

20150317_112542_zpsgpryuacb.jpg

Tomorrow is another WC and Prazi round 2, but since my WC took about an hour today I think I am only going to do 50% as recommended. I don't want to stress D too much with all of the changes. 

I think she definitely has some kind of increasingly fluke problem and that Q probably died of flukes. She was darting and a bit "jerky" yesterday and the day before, whereas today she is swimming fine. After freaking out and hiding for about 15 minutes upon relandscaping etc, she came over to me and asked for a treat. Well, OK. She had had her 3 NLS pellets this morning (which she eats in about a 1 minute), so I gave her some nori that I had forgotten I had. She's been eating it and chasing what she couldn't chew up to try again for a while now. I'm very glad she is feeling so happy. No change in her take so far as I can tell, though. I saw on a different forum that sometimes Koko's has recommended 3 rounds of 5 minute salt dips every other day if you can't increase the tank salt beyond 1% during a fluke/stress treatment. Does anyone think I should do this? 

Parameters and additions: due to the size of the water change I dosed half a cap of Flourish comprehensive (they recommend one cap per 60 gallons) and I've been using the Seachem goldfish buffer as suggested by Jared, I think. I hope that the driftwood will gently lower the pH into the mid to low 7's, and I look forward to seeing how the plants respond to that. My sagittaria hasn't been spreading much, though it seems to have liked having the yellow leaves pruned. There is also a tiny, enterprising plant growing by itself that looks like a blade of grass. 

20150317_120316_zpsqcpg9ba3.jpg

Also, on the underside of one of my java ferns, I saw some spots that signify baby ferns! That must be a good sign. I'm so pleased that I actually seem to be growing plants instead of killing them like usual. 

Anyway: PARAMETERS like I said. 

pH: around 8 still, but the driftwood hasn't been in there very long

Ammonia: 0 ppm  :-)

Didn't test the others since the WC was so massive. 

Another 50-60% water change and I think the salting might be higher than 1% since it's hard for me to gauge just how many gallons I'm taking out and putting in. I've therefore double dosed the Prazi just in case >1% would make the medication ineffectual. I hope this won't hurt D though. I'm trying to follow this protocol: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

She seemed kind of lethargic this morning, poor thing, but she ate her pellets greedily. My parameters are good and I mixed in the Prazi with her fresh water to make sure it is well incorporated. I suppose if I really messed up with the double dose I could always take out 20% water and add in new Prazi-less water. I'm kind of scared that I will hurt her with the double dose. Right now she seems to be fairly stationary (but swimming, not bottom sitting). Then I also have been following the debate about whether salt renders Prazi in effective on the D&D forum: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/120818-prazipro-and-salt/. So I am concerned. But I think the points about PraziPro being also OK with marine aquariums stands, and I don't think Duchess would manifest irritation and twitchiness if the Prazi weren't working. So I'm trying to stay calm about it. 

OK, I took out a few gallons and replaced them with just normal freshwater. I feel a little calmer about potentially ODing her on either salt or Prazi. She already seems to have perked up a little and is back to begging and trying to eat the wall algae. Attagirl! I will be monitoring her closely all the same. I wish I knew more about what to expect when dosing Prazi, and what might count as an overdose. 

I've been splitting the tall wisteria since water changes can kind of strain the long stems. I hope it works out. My sagittaria seems to have grown quite a bit over night, and Duchess likes to bury herself in it! The lone blade of sagittaria grass has doubled in size over night! I am impressed with Flourish comprehensive. And thankfully, D doesn't seem to be too curious about the java fern or driftwood. I think it's partly because she has lived with java fern before and doesn't find it too tasty. She likes to hide behind it, though. I'm very happy to have effectively provided her with de-stressing "hidden" places in the tank. I don't think I'll ever get so into plants as to have a CO2 tank, but who knows what the future might hold if I were to have more money and more space. I certainly would want to get at least a 55 gallon. A 70 or 100 gallon looks so cool, too! Fish dreams, I suppose.

All the same, I also am feeling more confident that adding the second filter and plants was a very good idea. My parameters have been much more stable and better, and despite dosing D I think she is feeling better and missing Queenie a little less. I do think she would be very happy to have a fish friend, though, since looking at me through the tank wall surely can only be so satisfying!

Main tank parameters: 
Ammonia: 0 ppm with a very, very light green hue (or due to paranoia)

pH: I think 7.8-8 ppm. Pleased with this.

Quarantine tank: 
Ammonia: 3-4 ppm

I wish the quarantine tank would cycle faster, but I know that it doesn't work that way. I don't have real-life fish friends to borrow some BB, but on the other hand, I don't know what pathogens would be in that material. I did squeeze my in-tank filter sponges into the tank. I figure if I am going to treat that tank and a Future Fish for flukes and other parasites, it doesn't matter too much. 

I'm feeling upset and scared today that D might be on her way to succumbing to Q's illness. When I came home today, she was stationary in the tank but seriously darted when she saw me. She then sat on the bottom of the tank for a few minutes but without labored gill movement, and she was not clamping her dorsal fin. After she recovered herself, though, she did want to eat and took some spirulina. She is swimming around now. 

As I wrote yesterday, I'm anxious since I don't know the exact salt concentration of her tank, since I find it hard to gauge with complete accuracy how many gallons I am removing and swapping in. Since I thought it might have gone up to .15%, I double dosed Prazi. I'm not sure if this could poison her or make matters worse. I suppose if I get really worried I could always run carbon and try to dose again, but I don't want to interfere with the medicine's killing of the newest batch of flukes. On the other hand, there seems to be some plant matter floating around in the tank so I might just suck that up... I don't want to risk having ammonia in the tank on top of the stress she's undergoing from the medicine.

This is all very frustrating; I'd been starting to feel good about fish-keeping as a hobby rather than being totally and nervously attached to the individual fish themselves, although these go hand in hand. The idea of losing D when I lost Q less than two weeks ago is very distressing, and it's hard to resist just throwing a barrage of medicines or otherwise at her. I also don't know if I would have all of the medicines she might conceivably need: I have methylene blue, PP, Maracyn 1 and 2, Furan-3, and of course Prazi and salt. I probably should replace the antibiotics since they are from this time last year after the columnaris problem.

Blah--not a fun entry, sorry.

Parameters:

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

pH: 8 

I took this photo today even though she's a little under the weather. She's even cute when she hides and sulks! Sorry for the algae--I scraped some for her to chase and eat and it seems to be perking her up even more.

IMG_2463_zpsay7ioyll.jpg

Parameters this morning are looking good for the main tank: 

Nitrite: 0 ppm

pH: 7.8-8

I didn't test for nitrates since I don't seem to get those anymore. I have been trying to shake the bottles harder, but either I need new stuff (I bought these drops a year ago) or the plants are sucking them up. It's possible, too, that with one fish in 29 gallons that my filtration just handles the bio-load much better. I'm feeling more confident that the tank is actually cycled and that the trace ammonia was due to under-filtration and a lack of plants. So go go Aquaclear!

Speaking of plants, my wisteria seems to be worse for wear: it's losing leaves or I find sad floating and ribbony stems in the morning. But oh well. When I visit Petsmart in the city at some point I will pick up more plants if need be. Otherwise the sagittaria is a little yellow in spots and the java fern holding strong to its driftwood and in general! I added some Flourish today--I think I am going to do it 2x per week, which the bottle says is OK. 

D is still sulky. Last night I turned off her light early (usually I have it on a timer) since she seemed to be wanting to hide in the corner (without bottom sitting). After I did, she came out to explore a bit, so I think she had just had enough light for the day, poor thing. From what I could tell, though, she was near the bottom without bottom sitting while sleeping. Thank goodness! This morning when I turned on her light, she didn't dart, but she took a little while to wake up. She did want to eat--3 NLS pre-soaked pellets--and now she is making the rounds at a pedestrian pace with periodic hiding behind the heater. No change in her tail, but I am hopeful that the past two days of upset over the Prazi might be subsiding. Fingers crossed. I think I might turn up the heater a bit to try to make the fluke life cycle more rapid, but I'm just thinking about it as of right now. I also don't know if a salt dip would be advisable. Maybe before round 3? I am also thinking about feeding her NLS Hex Shield, which seems to be one of the only widely available medicated foods that contains Metronidazole, which I think Medi-Gold used to contain. 

My quarantine tank is annoying me. The ammonia seems to refuse to drop from 4 ppm, and it has been over a week. I added my spare air stone today to try to get more surface movement, since the little Top Fin filter that came with the kit doesn't really forcefully turn water over at all. I stuffed the little filter with a lot of floss, though, so it should be able to hold some BB. I've also ordered some plastic plants for BB to grow on, and for any tiny fish to hide behind should she feel stressed. 

I'm also on the market for a new siphon. I'd had a 25 ft Python for which I purchased an extension when I moved last summer, but I grew so frustrated with it recently I threw it away. I couldn't get any suction! It would fill tanks adequately but when it came to removing water--which is the primary reason why I need it--it just couldn't do the job. It kept getting air bubbles that disrupted the vacuum or something. Even when it had been working many moons ago, it never was very good at sucking up detritus. So I'm wondering if any of you had suggestions about siphons that are not Pythons, or ways to make Pythons not be useless pieces of junk. It would be very helpful for large WCs and when my QT is up and running, since I will probably be needing to make 90-100% water changes depending on the illness. Maybe I'll also post under the equipment forum, since when I did a search on Koko's, I didn't see a posting expressly on siphons--just horrific siphon accidents! Ack! Poor fishes.  :wacko:

Also, from reading around just now, it seems that pond pumps might not be ideal for removing water--is this your experience? I'd be happy to remove detritus separately but it is just so annoying to have to carry multiple 5 gallon buckets and hoist them into the kitchen sink to remove the actual water itself. Pouring water back in with  my flexible 10 gallon bucket is also a nuisance but whatever. 

A lot of us here use this method. I got the idea from a topic that Mikey made. This is the pump he uses from Harbor Freight store that I bought.

102_33222.jpg

Then for the tubing I went to a home improvement store to buy a 50 foot roll, (or however long you need to go from your tank to the sink/tub.) A big clamp to hold the tubing to the edge of the tank so it doesn't fall out. (I just close my glass lid on it with the weight of my goldfish stone statue) Put the pump into the tank with tubing attached to it, then run the tube to the sink/drain. Plug in, and wait till you have emptied as much water as you want. (Keep an eye on it so you don't suck out too much) Then unplug and then put the pump into a big bucket in the sink/tub, Put other end of tube inside of tank, add water conditioner like Prime to tank according to the total volume of your tank. Turn water on to desired temp to match tank temp. Start to fill bucket with the pump in it then plug in to fill your tank. Adjust flow of water from your faucet as to not overflow bucket or to make sure there is water always completely covering the pump. When your done you can roll up the tubing and store away till the next WC day. I keep mine rolled up with the pump still attached and put inside the bucket.