Touching and holding Goldfish

Jim_D

Not griping as in 'squeezing'.  Just aiding in the fish not slipping out. Either way, some slime coat will come off. Do you think that bare hands would take less slime coat off than wearing latex gloves?

I've always just used my bare hands but it seems latex would help with cross contamination among fish if you changed gloves after every fish. 

• Supporter

i have tried latex gloves on goldfish for surgery.. it's like the worst thing i could have possibly done.. it was like trying to catch a ball with my hands laced in butter.. ain't gonna happen.

Not griping as in 'squeezing'.  Just aiding in the fish not slipping out. Either way, some slime coat will come off. Do you think that bare hands would take less slime coat off than wearing latex gloves?

I've always just used my bare hands but it seems latex would help with cross contamination among fish if you changed gloves after every fish. 

I know what you mean by gripping, and it still (IMO) would apply. I think that a lose grip with bare hands trumps everything mainly because you have full tactile sensation, so you don't misjudge how you're holding the animal. 

From what I've read/heard, as long as you are very gentle (so don't hold tightly) and your hands are soaked in water, slime coat shouldn't be much of a problem. 

I've tried a net before with my goldies. The poor fish flailed around and got himself all tangled up in just the short time it took me to transfer from one container to the other. Never again.

Cups/tupperware work too :) It's much easier for me to catch with my hands though, so less stressful chasing.

From what I've read/heard, as long as you are very gentle (so don't hold tightly) and your hands are soaked in water, slime coat shouldn't be much of a problem. 

I've tried a net before with my goldies. The poor fish flailed around and got himself all tangled up in just the short time it took me to transfer from one container to the other. Never again.

Cups/tupperware work too :) It's much easier for me to catch with my hands though, so less stressful chasing.

second on the cup part

so easy and from my experience, the fishes don't mind it

I only handle my fish to take a quick picture or when I need them to change tanks, which is a rare occurrence. I see no reason to handle them or grab them otherwise.