Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Oranda with poor balance and slightly raised scales

Hi guys, my Klaus has been declining for the past 3-4 days. She has been very round/fat for a while so it hard to tell if she is bloated. She is for sure female (I've seen her lay eggs). Her balance is very poor and has been spending more and more time wedged in the plants. It is possible that her scales are raised but it is hard to tell as that part of her abdomen is covered by her tail. She is normally in my 120 gallon tank with 5 other fish, but I just moved her to the filtered 20 long that I've been using to grow out a butterfly and some plants (the butterfly is really small and the tank never registers any nitrates). The 20 gallon had a 80% water change yesterday (and 100% water changes all the weeks before) and I will remove the plants if that is necessary. She hasn't been fed since yesterday morning. I switched to feeding Hikari Lionhead about a month and a half ago.

I have metro powder, kanaplex, furan, epsom and aquarium salt on hand (and oxolinic acid I think but I've had that a while and don't know if it goes bad).

Here is an album of her position in the plants, you can click on the image for full size to see the scales more clearly

http://imgur.com/a/ef5Ln

and a video of her balance, at the end I try to get a top view. (fixed the link)

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) < 10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8

Water is brand new, just set up the QT tank

• Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api Master Test Kit
    • * Water temperature? 70
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  120 gallons 2 months (filters were seeded from 70 tank that was running for about a year)
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclear 110s
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 75%
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days, 75%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish, all at least 5"
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikair Lionhead, once per day (but I haven't fed them since yesterday morning)
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
    • * Any medications added to the tank? no
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I've had all of these fish for at least a year (some for 2 years) They get treated with Prazi about once or twice a year. Last treatment was 3 months ago.
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  She has been very fat for a while but never had issues before so I assumed it was her shape but it is possible that she is bloated but it's hard to tell as she is always very round. She is for sure female as I've seen her lay eggs. She is having balance and swimming issues. It hasn't been uncommon for her to sleep in the plants but for the past week this has been happening more often and her balance is really bad. It is possible that her scales are very slightly raised near where her body meets her tail but it is hard to see as he tail overlaps there.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  She is still eating and is responsive. Balance is really bad possibly raised scales.
Edited by Kulukan

The video doesn't work for me . . . 

Does she always rest with her tail up like that?  Have you seen her poop?

I just got the video to work. Maybe try again? Bout 4 days ago she would rest in the plants right side up. The last couple days she's been tail up. I haven't noticed her poop. Right now she in in the QT tank like this

IMG_20150310_140909_zpsmrt884o7.jpg

Edited by Kulukan

The video says it's unavailable in safety mode.  I went to YouTube and turned off safety mode on my end but it still is telling me that.  :idont

I would fast her for a couple of days and add Epsom at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons.  Maybe that will get her to either poop or drop some eggs.  Do you have males in the main tank that could help her along if she is eggy?

(I'm not sure she is but she is very round from something .. . .  I'd really like to know what her poop looks like.)

There were males in the tank but none were interested. She is alone now though. She is very round when she is acting normally as well but could definitely be bloated. Will the Epsom hurt the plants? I could go stick them in a bucket for a while.

The Epsom won't hurt the plants.  :D

Thank you :) Epsom is done. I removed the plants so it will be easier to find her poop.

Her balance is better this morning but not great. She hasn't been in the tail up position since I put her in the QT but she is still buoyant. She is more active today but still spends a good amount of time in the top corner(right side up). I saw a tiny poo hanging out and went to take a picture. The poo fell out and I scooped it up to look at it and I swear it was a Malaysian trumpet snail shell. Here is a link to the picture I took and to all the small poop pieces I've found since the snail shell. I keep MTS in my betta tank but have never seen them in the goldfish tank before.

http://imgur.com/a/vtykk

That sure looks like a snail to me too!  :teehee  How did that get in there?  :idont

Well, the good news is she's pooping and it's not stringy white.  I'd continue to fast her, keep her in the Epsom and update us in a day or two.  :D

Update! She hasn't been upside down since I moved her. She is still pooping its a green/brown mix. Her swimming still isn't great but its better than it was. I think her scales look better too. If you watch the video she gives 2 great big yawns within 1 minute. She doesn't look any skinnier to me.

http://imgur.com/a/KsJUQ

Klaus2:

How long has she been fasting?  She doesn't look underfed. :teehee

This might sound a little crazy, but if it was me, I'd remove the pebbles/rocks or whatever those are on the tank floor.  If she gets hungry/bored enough, she might try to eat them.  I bet she could manage to get them in her mouth. 

She has fasted about 3 days. And you're right she is a fatty. Is it possible to put a fish on a weight loss diet? :rofl

I'll go remove the rocks right now. They fell out of the planters.

I'd say give her another day, maybe 2, of fasting if she's still pooping that much.  :o

She probably pulled them out of the planters thinking they were food.  :teehee

OK all gone. I'll go siphon out any poop the filter didn't get so I can tell if she is still pooping later.

So here is a video from todaytoday

Klaus 3:

And a weird poop that I found. Does this look like an egg poop to you? If you zoom in its kind of zig zag. There was also some normal looking poop.

http://imgur.com/a/381nx

She hasn't been fed since I first posted. The pooping overall has slowed down. Should I feed her today or wait for mor strange poop? I have hikari lion head, peas and repashy soilent green.

I'm on my phone so I can't really see the pic very well. I'll check it when I'm home.

Go ahead and feed her. Lightly.

Her balance is much improved. I've been feeding lightly and her poop is normal. She had one other strange one like the one I posted above but is acting like her old self.