Carbon VS Extra Filter Media (And DIY Media?), As Well As Other Filter Questions

Hey guys,

So I was wondering, whats better

1. Having a carbon pad/bag in your filter, or extra filter media, for goldfish.

2. Regardless of the answer to the above question, is DIY biological media good? If so, please give me some recommendations or tutorials.  I checked some youtube videos and everyone has their own method, so if one of the DIY experts here could recommend something that would be great.

3. How often should I clean AND/OR Replace My:

• Filter Parts (tubing, general parts like holders and stuff, and the fan thing.. that thing that pulls water, forgot what its called)
  • Biological Media
  • Sponge
  • Carbon

Thanks guys!

I replace my filter sponges and bio media only when it starts falling apart or if I can't get my sponges clean I will replace them. I don't think you need to replace your filter parts, but I would replace filter parts if they break or aren't working well. Hope that was helpful! The fan thing is called an impeller by the way [emoji14]

I use the carbon that comes in the box for about a month and then replace it with diy media. I go to the dollar store and buy those plastic pot scrubbers (the are usually colorful, red, blue, green) they don't have any additives just plastic material, seems to work well for me.

As for the tubing, I just clean them regularly with my media maintenance. The impeller I don't replace but I also maintenance it with the rest of the filer ie take it out and get the gunk out, usually I use a q-tip to clean in where the impeller sits, but be careful as the pin can be broken off which will make your filter useless

Most of us here prefer extra bio or mechanical media to carbon.  I think DIY media is fine if it is well thought out and constructed.  

What kind of filter do you have?

Aquaclear 50

Have one right now, will be adding a sponge filter soon :)

Most of us here prefer extra bio or mechanical media to carbon.  I think DIY media is fine if it is well thought out and constructed.  

What kind of filter do you have?

Aquaclear 50

Have one right now, will be adding a sponge filter soon :)

For the AC filters, I do and recommend this:

Bottom = AC Sponge = mechanical for large particles and some biological filtration

Middle = Marineland Rite Size Blue filter padding (cut to fit) = mechanical for fine particles

Top = AC or Fluval Biomax (loaded with extra) for main biological filtration

I clean my filter media once a month, but this may not be enough for every system.  I start by gently rinsing the biomedia in a bucket of tank water I remove during the water change.  Then I vigorously rinse the sponge in that same bucket of tankwater.  Then I rinse the sponge again in a second bucket of "clean" tank water.  I throw the blue pad away each time and replace it with a brand new piece.

Carbon is an expensive thing to keep in an aquarium filter. It needs to be changed every month and has little benefit to the tank if you're on a good WC schedule. It also would need to be removed every time meds are added to the tank and replaced with fresh. I always keep some on-hand if I need to quickly remove meds from a tank, but otherwise just stick with DIY media no matter the filter I am using.