Do you 'Sport' fish or fish for food for the plate?

Jim_D

I have fished all my life for the plate. Hooked smaller fish live through the tail as live bait for bigger fish, used live crabs etc bait.

The older that I have gotten, the more Scuba diving that I have done......the less that I feel I can fish.

99% of the time now my wife and I fish with the barb on our hooks flattened out with a pair of pliers. I can bring the fish up to the side of the boat and easily slip the hook out without the fish even leaving the water. It still makes me feel 'weird' to do even this to a fish.

Yet I can order fish in a restaurant and buy fish at the market to cook. ......... Wow what a state of confusion!

I live right on the water and have great fishing right at my door.

4204015459_5190dfd9d1_o.jpg

Our local fishing club using my mooring poles to cook a BBQ lunch for fishing comp competitors

4312723926_283a710a0b_o.jpg

4311986399_6cf1fd133e_o.jpg

Has anyone else been a life long fisherman/fisherwoman and have felt a change in how you fish or even if you want to fish anymore? Do you still order fish to eat or buy fish to eat?

Really interested on any views on this subject.

I sort of feel weird when I eat Sushi in front of my Goldfish :rofl

But then the main ingredient in their Hikari Lionhead is fish meal so :idont

LOL....that made me chuckle :)

I've never been into fishing, but I do love to eat it. I always try to buy sustainable, ethically caught fish though (when that info is available).

The more I see fish underwater in their natural habitat (even schooling fish) they are still individuals. They do have different 'personalities' much like our pet fish that we adore.

I think I'm just turning into a softie the older I get :wacko:

I do it for the plate althought if my dad didn't push me I would problably never fish , I'm picky with the fish I eat and I also have a hard time killing living things besides bugs :rofl I almost passed out when I tagged along on a pheasant hunt when I was little

Edited by Gustave

• Helper

I've only ever been fishing a couple of times and I never caught anything xD As it is I found it terribly boring and don't even like eating fish that much.

But I have found that I feel worse when seeing those fishing shows now :P 

I used to fish as a kid, "catch and release", and I enjoyed it, but I don't fish anymore.  I just think it's kinda mean.  Here is my logic:

Fish is Hungry.

Then in Pain from the hook.

Then Frightened for it's life as it's reeled in.

Then Exhausted after the "fight".

Then Gasping for breath when brought up.

More Pain, when the hook's pulled out.

Finally, frightened, exhausted, in pain and even more hungry than before, it is released. 

I remember reading somewhere, that 40 or 60 percent of released fish die.  Also, it's been proven that fish can feel pain and show signs of (what we call) fear.

If fish are being caught for food, then I'm good with it, but for "sport", it's not my thing.

However, there is one situation that I would go sport fishing (and would fully condone it).  That is when it comes to invasive species.  I'd totally do a "Fishing Safari", then give the catch away to people who needed food.  Check out these links of a guy who did a "Fishing Safari" in South Florida (these are fishing photos, view at own risk) - http://www.thelocalhookupma.com/id40.html  and  http://www.thelocalhookupma.com/id26.html

I used to like to fish, but ever since I started keeping native fish as pets a few years back, I just don't like it anymore. Those fish are way more sentient than people think, and unfortunately get a lot of mishandling in the process of being fished. So, I guess my views would be along the lines of what Acro is saying above.

I still eat fish, but only things that are commercially raised for food like Tilapia, Salmon, Cod... I will not eat anything that closely resembles the fish I keep/have kept.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I fish most of the summer, eat what I catch if it's big enough, and also work in the meat/seafood dept. in my grocer in the summer. I don't have a problem with fishing at all. Maybe part of it is because sometimes we sell carp at the grocer and I know for a fact it tastes horrible no matter how you try and dress it up! :rofl

But in all seriousness, even goldfish eat other fish most of the time so I have no problem doing it... or sharing my catch with them sometimes.

I have strong views about even squishing bugs of any kind, so my thoughts on fishing are obvious.

However, if one is hungry, and catching fish is ones main source of food, then I think it's perfectly fine

I strongly dislike ANYTHING being killed or hurt unnecessarily

I don't fish not because I feel it's wrong...I just don't.  I like seafood ALOT & have no issues eating fish! (Even while sitting right next to my goldfish tank!) LOL!!

I have strong views about even squishing bugs of any kind, so my thoughts on fishing are obvious.

However, if one is hungry, and catching fish is ones main source of food, then I think it's perfectly fine

Charlie's opinion pretty much sums up my view :)

Charlie's opinion pretty much sums up my view :)

Glad I'm not the only softie :hug:)

I have grown up fishing for food as we live right on a big lake. I personally never do the killing of the fish, because I feel so terrible, but I love to fish. I am a HUGE softy when it comes to the killing of animals, as I was a vegetarian for years. 

We catch and eat mostly walleye, perch, jackfish and trout around here. Yummy, fresh, free range food :)

Haley, I've only ever fished for freshwater fish once and that was at a trout farm. There wasn't much skill involved, I would like to fish for wild fish on a fly like I see on TV,

All my fishing has always been in blue saltwater.

Edited by Jim_D

• Admin

Haley, I've only ever fished for freshwater fish once and that was at a trout farm. There wasn't much skill involved, I would like to fish for wild fish on a fly like I see on TV,

All my fishing has always been in blue saltwater.

My dad is like that, he w fish for trout though on the Snake Rive :)