Is sand on Wen anything to worry about?

Below is a photo of my newly acquired 'babies' and as you can see I have a fine skim of washed sand. The sand gives them a lot to do and they are always rooting around in it and spitting it out.

What I'm worried about is that they are getting it on themselves by being under another one when they spit out a mouthful and it sinks down onto them.

Can the sand grains be an irritant to the wens? This is the first time I have ever had a goldfish that has a wen and they are definitely getting sand on them. The sand falls off eventually of course.

Am I worrying about nothing or should  I suck it out and go bare bottom?

16760676991_a7dc734204_b.jpg

• Supporter

goldfish have slimecoat to protect them.. which is also coated over their wen. i am confident to advise that no, i don't believe your fish will have sand irritating their wen. i would consider it more if it were the gill to become irritated, but i also feel that is highly unlikely.

goldfish have slimecoat to protect them.. which is also coated over their wen. i am confident to advise that no, i don't believe your fish will have sand irritating their wen. i would consider it more if it were the gill to become irritated, but i also feel that is highly unlikely.

Oh Helen you have no idea how happy that made me reading what you wrote.

I tossed and turned all night considering whether or not to go barebottom and if the sand was a problem. I read till about 2.00am on my iPad everything that Google would throw at me about bare bottom tanks.

Not knowing a lot about 'wens' I've been worried since the first couple of hours of housing the new oranda acquisition's when I saw the sand on them.  

These wonderful creatures have become so endearing to me in such a short time.........they are in my heart like no other fish I have ever had the pleasure of looking after before.That's wonderful, but its also kind of stressful :(

If sand irritated the wen, my 2 chus would be in big trouble! :rofl. I sometimes think they spit it at each other and my plants to irritate ME! :rofl3

Thanks for the reply, I'm really glad to know that you see sand on the wens of yours as well.

The sand gives them so much to do through the day, it's ultra clean and no poop or other detritus.....everything gets filtered.

Just SOOOOOOO happy to know that it won't harm them seeing it their heads!

i would consider it more if it were the gill to become irritated, but i also feel that is highly unlikely.

Highly unlikely.  This backs that up:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116709-physiology-of-the-gills-in-relation-to-substrate/#entry1874603