Low tech lights for a 40 gallon Breeder

kehresmann

My 40 gallon breeder I bought at the last $1 per gallon sale is finally being set-up this weekend and I'm planning on planting it with some low light plants like Anubias ect.Anyways, I'm looking for some suggestions on what kind of lighting system to get. (Also wouldn't mind getting some low tech plant suggestions from you guys either:))

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Marine-Aquarium-48-Inch/dp/B00GFTQDQK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425938358&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=usa+orbit+marine+lighting+40+gallon+breeder

This was a lighting system I was considering..I love the idea of being able to create a sort of natural lighting for my fish. (Like having a sunrise and sunset instead of just flipping a switch and BAM crazy lighting.) But I'm not sure if their strong enough or if they'd even be a good option for a planted tank..I'm pretty new to planted aquariums so please bare with me and my planted tank noobie ness. :P

Is this going to be a Goldfish tank?  The light you listed is specifically for marine aquariums.  Here is the freshwater version which is also much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTIV4/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VKGX92FS1MP6YMK06ND

And here is the sunrise thing separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Single-Timer-Aquarium/dp/B00FDV1AFA/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VKGX92FS1MP6YMK06ND

The Current fixtures are good. You could also look at the Finnex Planted Plus, they'll both perform similarly.

There are quite a few plants for you to choose from. For low tech sticking to these types of plants is a safe bet: anubias, microsorums (java ferns, etc), echinodorus, bolbitis, cryptocorynes, hygrophila and some of the weedier rotalas like sp. green and rotundifolia. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

Edited by dan in aus

Is this going to be a Goldfish tank?  The light you listed is specifically for marine aquariums.  Here is the freshwater version which is also much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTIV4/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VKGX92FS1MP6YMK06ND

And here is the sunrise thing separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Single-Timer-Aquarium/dp/B00FDV1AFA/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VKGX92FS1MP6YMK06ND

Aghh, I didn't even think to look for freshwater specific ones. -__- Good thing I didn't already order one!! But yes, it will be a goldfish tank. :) I'm think going to try out that lighting system and see if I get some good growth with it...But thank you so much for the links! Saved me quite a bit of cash, so I guess now I'll have more money for plants. ;)

The Current fixtures are good. You could also look at the Finnex Planted Plus, they'll both perform similarly.

There are quite a few plants for you to choose from. For low tech sticking to these types of plants is a safe bet: anubias, microsorums (java ferns, etc), echinodorus, bolbitis, cryptocorynes, hygrophila and some of the weedier rotalas like sp. green and rotundifolia. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

I have seen quite a bit of good reviews for the current lights, but Before I make a final decision I'll have to check out the Finnex Planted Plus fixtures for sure! I love how anubias look so I'm sure I'll be adding plenty of those. :P Crypts are another personal favorite of mine so I'm glad I have good options to choose from even with my tank only being low tech. (I'd be high tech if I wasn't so scared of CO2 usage. :P) Thanks for all the answers. :) 

I've got a Current Satellite Freshwater LED Plus on my heavily planted 75G goldfish tank. I've got the single ramp timer too. Make sure you get the right ramp timer because some aren't comparable with some of the fixtures. Everything works like a dream.  

I remember trying to decide between the regular (one strip of LEDs) and the plus. I ended up getting the plus because it had higher par. You can see the values for the plus here and for the regular here

I initially bought two thinking that the par values for a "low-tech" was ~ 40-80. I got some algae at the top of my plants (the light sits directly on the tank) so I have one of the light turned off. When I get around to it, I'm going to make a light hanging system. 

If anything they worked better than I thought, definitely a great buy. 

I would show a picture of the tank but it's looking a little hairy right now!  :teehee

Edited by Miss_Goldie

I've got a Current Satellite Freshwater LED Plus on my heavily planted 75G goldfish tank. I've got the single ramp timer too. Make sure you get the right ramp timer because some aren't comparable with some of the fixtures. Everything works like a dream.  

I remember trying to decide between the regular (one strip of LEDs) and the plus. I ended up getting the plus because it had higher par. You can see the values for the plus here and for the regular here

I initially bought two thinking that the par values for a "low-tech" was ~ 40-80. I got some algae at the top of my plants (the light sits directly on the tank) so I have one of the light turned off. When I get around to it, I'm going to make a light hanging system. 

If anything they worked better than I thought, definitely a great buy. 

I would show a picture of the tank but it's looking a little hairy right now!  :teehee

I looked up a few youtube videos of tanks with the same lighting system,(Freshwater LED plus) and they look AMAZING.(I'm sure yours looks just as good even if it's a little hairy. :P) I will be ordering this lighting system tonight so hopefully it arrives this week sometime, and I can get busy planting my 40 gallon for the finbabes. :)