Hello--but a somewhat melancholy greeting

QandD

Hi all,

I'm excited to join this forum, since my real-world friends think I'm crazy for liking goldfish.

I'm a poor graduate student who has been keeping goldfish for 7 years after rescuing a fish from my boyfriend, who seemed completely content to do fish-in cycles (he didn't know what a cycle was, admittedly) and told me that "fish just die sometimes" when I expressed concern about 3 out of 4 juveniles dying within a month of living in a new 10-gallon tank. So I started doing research and fell for Queenie, my first fish.

This is sad, but she just died a couple of days ago. I suppose I also joined the forum since other people don't understand why I am upset about losing her. In the last 2 years of her life she had had some health problems due to power outages killing my biofilter (Hurricane Sandy left me without power for a week and the water got down to 50 degrees). Then, I had to totally recycle the tank AGAIN after some live plants led to a columnaris breakout. She was a fighter and a beautiful white fantail, and I miss her very much.

Her friend, Duchess, is currently living alone in my 29-gallon tank. She is 5.5 years old and seems healthy. She is also white with a few orange spots on her body and tail. She has been spending the past few days looking around the tank for Queenie, and then looking at me, and then circling around again. I've added new plants to the tank with the hope that they will keep her busy eventually.

I am planning to get D a new friend soon, since I don't know how long goldfish will be happy living alone. I don't want her to become even more stressed with loneliness. 

Sorry for the melancholy elements of this post, but I am grateful to have found the forum.

A warm welcome to the forum, hun. I closely relate to what you have said, and I bet you've come to the right place. We all understand your feelings about the wonderful creation of nature, the Goldfishes, and we shall all share and care together.

May your tank be full of fishes!

Best wishes. And welcome again! :heart

Welcome to Koko's. :hug I think you're in good company here. Many of us have lost beloved fish and know some of what you're going through.

I thought I might add that Dutchess can live just fine by herself. Goldfish seem to grieve, so she may seem depressed for awhile. But soon enough, if you spend good time with her, she'll come to terms with it. 

...and yet... getting new fish is always fun, so don't let it deter you. Just remember that quarantine and stocking guidelines are your best friends.

Thanks for your replies!

My avatar is Queenie during better days. I haven't figured out how to post photos yet--haven't made the Photobucket account--but I will soon!

Welcome!!

Beautiful fish! It reminds me of my new fish Icicle who looks pretty close in color ;)

Goldfish can live by themselves, but they can be social fish. I find that when I have only one by themselves they get skittery and act more nervous. As soon as I add another goldfish they calm way down and stick together everywhere in the tank together. But it is up to you. Also if you add another goldfish you will probably want to upgrade to a bigger tank than your 29 gallon up to a 40 gallon when the fish get bigger. A 40 gallon breeder tank is great size for 2 goldfish :D Koko's usually recommends 15 to (or better yet) 20 gallons per goldfish. ;)

I look forward to seeing pictures when you can! :D

Thanks for your friendly responses! Queenie was indeed a beautiful fish. I was very lucky to have her and she made me very happy through three moves and lots of major life changes. 

Duchess has been grieving a bit, I think. However, I am buying a 10-gallon QT kit from Craigslist in an hour, so I am very excited!

Here are some photos of Queenie and Duchess (when Duchess was a very little girl and all orange). Now she is mostly white (photos also included). 

[img]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Lompoc727/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

[/img]

Welcome to the forum, I was sad to read about Queenie - I feel your pain, I look forward seeing pictures of Duchess - a bit of a royal theme here I notice?  :D

Yes--sort of. I named Queenie after an old movie I like ("You Can't Cheat an Honest Man"), and then other regal names seemed to follow naturally. If I get D a new friend I'll have to think of something new! But I hope to maintain a matriarchy--I don't want a male fish chasing D all over. 

Edited by QandD

There are lots of great royal female titles: Princess, Marquesa, countess, tsarina, empress, baroness or Lady Goldie?

If I get a little calico fantail with lots of dots, she will be Countess for sure!