All Pond Solutions?

Does anyone have any experience with the all pond solutions external filter? I'm thinking of getting the 2000ef for my new 45g tank and also should I get it with or without a UV bulb?

I used to have the 2000 EF canister filter by APS. It's good value for money, but I found it to be a pain to start up, which left me reluctant to do maintenance. There's a priming button, but that never worked for me - I used to have to detach the end of the hose from the inlet tube, and fill it with water using a jug.

However, they're big, plenty of space for media, and in the year or so that I had it, it never leaked. Would I buy one again? No, but it did the job (when it was started). Just my experience though, others may have had much more positive experiences than me :)

I had the one with UV, but never actually used it.

Edited by Lis.

I have APS canisters on both my tanks!!...I don't use the UV type!!...they are great cannisters and run silent with minimum maintenance!!... You won't be disappointed!!

What does the UV light even do? Is it worth having?

its supped to kill bacteria and parasites!!... But I doubt it is strong enough I had one but swapped it over for a bigger 2000 model!!....I am very happy with them!!

At lower watt levels UV will kill the free floating algae that cause green water. At higher wattage levels it will also kill bacteria and parasites.... The good kind and the bad kind. They should not be needed in properly maintained fish tanks.

My tank is opposite a window since that was the only place it would fit in my room, so it will be prone to green water, perhaps a UV bulb will be of use to me

I'm also thinking about getting the T5 over head lighting by APS they offer marine and tropical bulbs what difference does it make what bulbs you choose?