Tank Upgrade!

Hey all. So I have 3 goldies in a 29 gallon, and I recently picked up 2 more (they are in qt). Obviously I need to upgrade. I have been looking at this set:

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=supplies%2Faquariums%2Fmarineland-biowheel-led-aquarium-kit-zid36-17289%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-17289

Is this a good deal? I would also use one of my aquaclear 50s on it. Can I use regular media (not a cartridge) in the filter it comes with (it is a penguin 350)? The other thing I am not sure about is those lights. I would add my marineland hidden led 21" strip, but im not sure if that would be enough for live plants. Does anyone else have this kit? I know with five goldies eventually they will outgrow it, so I was planning on getting this stand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9883&pcatid=9883

So that when the time comes I could just put another 55 below. My question about this is will it be hard to get suction for water changes on the lower tank? I use a python to change my water usually.

Any ideas or input will be appreciated!

You could also get the 75g top fin set for $199. No filter but it comes with a 48" aqueon light strip and full spectrum bulb. :ehh

You can use whatever media you want in any filter, it's just the amount of space that differs.

I don't think one LED strip is enough for plants but it's only my opinion.

Edited by Chai

Dang it, I meant to post this in the tanks and equipment section!

I was also looking at 75g tanks, but the thing I like about 55s is they dont stick out as much, and I dont have a ton of space.

I do have some other marineland leds, maybe it would be better to buy just the tank. How much do 55s run usually? Will a 55 even last me very long? All my goldies are about 3" total length.

I do have some other marineland leds, maybe it would be better to buy just the tank. How much do 55s run usually? Will a 55 even last me very long? All my goldies are about 3" total length.

You may want to go that route and just buy a 55 gallon tank when Petco does one of their $1 per gallon sales.  Then you could switch your AC 50 over and supplement it with a new AC 70 or 110.  

However, if you can manage it, It would get a 75 gallon for 5 goldies.  That will still only give you 15 gallons per fish, which is the minimum we recommend once the fish are large  :)

Thanks Jared. I should probably just get the 75 like you said. Thats what I was thinking originally but I just wanted to check all my options since space is at a premium. In the long run, it is probably a better choice :)

Thanks Jared. I should probably just get the 75 like you said. Thats what I was thinking originally but I just wanted to check all my options since space is at a premium. In the long run, it is probably a better choice :)

I understand because I would like a 75, but don't have the space for the 18 inch depth.  However, I only have 2 big, fat Goldfish in my 55 :rofl

If you want to keep all 5 Goldfish, I think you will save money and heartache in the long run by getting the 75.

So that when the time comes I could just put another 55 below. My question about this is will it be hard to get suction for water changes on the lower tank? I use a python to change my water usually.

Any ideas or input will be appreciated!

To answer this question, my friend just built a rack to stack two 55 gallon tanks, one above and one below, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble with the python suction for the bottom tank. He also had the issue of needing the tanks to be slimmer for his bedroom and it worked out great for him. But, it also means more work because with two tanks you gotta deal with monitoring and changing water on both. I think in the end you would also save money to just buy the bigger tank. Just my  :twocents

I'd go with the 75, too.  Maintaining two complete 55 gallon tanks would be overwhelming (to me), and I'd much rather just do one big tank.  Also, I personally think all the "stacked" setups I've seen lack something visually -- that bottom tank just gets overlooked, you know?