Small DIY pond

Amie Grady

So my partner recently had 10 weeks off work. I think he was bored LOL. Our life savings later...

2adfe71642bd3dcb40a696c34a8f3539.jpg205094cd24d21e8bbbc2bbcedb8cd6d8.jpg93736b8ac055afadf54f7c54356062e9.jpg6ca31e1315e1508b1cc53a54a9bd2f07.jpg

The water feature even has LED lights and lights up like a disco. It's approx 500L :)

Very nice!! 

I can't figure out what the big black "thing" is in the 1st & 3rd picture(?)

How many gallons is it?

I imagine having an outdoor pond but have never actually followed thru on the idea. But I think sitting outside on a nice day watching the fish swim & listening to the water sounds would be great!!!

That's really lovely.  You will find those pretty little glass pieces will soon become the color of whatever algae flourishes in your pond.  :) You asked about stocking capacity of your pond.  If you would give me a little more information, I can give you a good estimate.  

What are the dimensions of your pond?

I see a pump hiding under the water lily.  What is the claimed liters/hour it pumps?

I also see what appears to be a pressure filter outside the pond.  Can you link me to information on that filter?

I can't figure out the water flow through the system.  I see a hose from the pump that appears to go to the filter.  I don't see the hose returning the water from the filter, since it gets chopped off in the picture.  I can see something black that appears to be going under the hose from the pump.  Is that the return hose?  

Can you link us to information on the water feature?  It sounds interesting.

Not sure about dimensions at the moment, tape measure is locked away in the man cave lol. The 500L estimate is based on the fact that it's a 600L tub, and I'm possibly losing around 100L off the top as it's not filled up.

This is the filter we got http://www.clearpond.com.au/products/all-products/water-filtration/aquagarden-biologic/aquagarden-biologic-pressure-8000uvc

The water flowing back into the pond is under the water feature, hose hidden behind it.

Measure when you can.  I'm looking for the surface area and depth.  

You have done a fantastic job for a first-time pond builder -- far, far better than I did with my first pond.

Your filter is quite adequate for your pond.  What does it contain for media?

You have room for your common, but I suggest you wait a while before adding another fish.

What is your water change schedule?

Not sure about dimensions at the moment, tape measure is locked away in the man cave lol. The 500L estimate is based on the fact that it's a 600L tub, and I'm possibly losing around 100L off the top as it's not filled up.

This is the filter we got http://www.clearpond.com.au/products/all-products/water-filtration/aquagarden-biologic/aquagarden-biologic-pressure-8000uvc

The water flowing back into the pond is under the water feature, hose hidden behind it.

Just wanted to say hi from a fellow aussie :) 

i have bought their poly rectangular tubs too. great ponds :)

Ok, I did a rough measure with a ruler as it was all I could find, so may not be entirely accurate. 40cm x 50cm x 200cm = approx 400L. Much smaller than I thought, and means I'm overstocked :( Not sure what to do now.

Edited by fishfishfish88

Relax.  The volume the manufacturer gave is almost certainly accurate.  All I wanted to know is the depth and surface area of your pond, and I was being stupid. I can calculate the surface area from the depth and the volume and have done so.  Your pond can easily support 8 fish.

The volume of your filter is also part of your total water volume.  Furthermore,  the stocking recommendations are for adult goldfish, not babies like yours.  All 7 of your little fishies  add up to about one adult, so for the next  year or two, your pond is under stocked even with that common you want.  

There are lots of ways to increase the carrying capacity of a pond.  One that you can plan for in the future is increasing your plant filtration.  This is both easy and beautiful.  I can see just where to put a veggie filter.  :)

I observed on the other thread that you are doing 50% water changes every few days.  That's great for the cycling period, but you are past that and don't need to change so much water.  I use a continuous water change system in which I add and overflow 10% of the pond volume daily.  A simple water change procedure for your pond would be to flush that filter daily and replace the water  removed by the flush. The filter contains the dirtiest water in your system, so this is the most efficient way of cleaning your water.  

Most pond people hate pressure filters because, while they work very well initially, with time they clog.   The best way to keep them working like new is to flush much more often than the manufacturer recommends.   The filter water makes a great plant food, so use it on your garden plants.