Stocking question

Hi! I've had my fish for about 6 weeks now and am SO ADDICTED to them! I was wondering how many single tail goldfish I can put in a 500L? I have a feeling I may already be overstocked but I am really wanting a common. They're so beautiful!

Thanks.

The general recommendation on here is 20 gallons (around 75 litres) minimum per fish, but more is certainly welcome since goldfish can grow quite large. With that in mind you can potentially keep 6 fish in a 500 litre tank. :)

Eek, thank you! There's so many differing opinions out there. I've had people tell me I should only have 2 and others tell me I can have up to 10!

I have 7 small ones at the moment. They seem to have plenty of room to swim but I guess they will grow! No common for me then. :(

I looked at your pond picture. Very nice. I have a few comments...  the use of plants can assist you in maintaining a heavier than normal fish load. Plants absorb ammonia directly from the water, so it never becomes nitrate. One thing that will determine your stocking level is how often are you willing to do water changes? I stock at 50 gallons per fish in my pond and rarely do water changes. If you add another fish, you may be looking at weekly water changes. You will have to test your water for ammonia and nitrate to determine. There are many people who successfully keep fish at less than 20 gallons per fish.  You just have to decide, are you willing to do the extra work?

Let's clarify Kokos' guidelines.  We recommend 20 gallons per goldfish (any variety) with a minimum of 15 gallons per fish.   The actual capacity of your pond will depend not just on the volume, but also surface area, filtration, plants ,and frequency and amount of water change. 

So using the guideline above, 8.8 fish could be kept in this pond.  And that guideline is based mostly around aquariums. Seems getting that common does fall within the guidelines.

I am currently doing around 50% water changes every few days. That's why all the glass stones are on the side lol. I found them to be a pain trying to clean the bottom of the pond. No idea what to do with them now!

To add to the stocking opinions, IMO it depends on how you take care of them, and the fish itself.

For example, My friend had an extremely active goldfish which only grew to an inch.  Why? He kept it in a 1 gallon aquarium. But besides that, he did water changes every 3 days, and had a filter.  It lived for 5 years.  fractional amount, but still considerable.

Another friend had no filter, 3 goldfish in a bowl.  Lived 3 years, and he changed the water every 2 weeks.  

So it really all depends on how far you are willing to go.

Some people think its cruel to let a goldfish live for only a small fraction of their average life.  Others can't afford it but still want goldfish.

So yea... the decision is up to you