Does anyone have any experience with these over-the-counter fish antibiotics?

bagh

I just found some antibiotics for fishes that are sold over-the-counter, and use Amoxycillin, Ciprofloxacin and other ingredients for treatment of ornamental fish.

For example, the Fish Flox product recommends its use as,

Fish Flox Forte Ciprofloxacin (500mg) is a synthetic broad spectrum antibiotic that is effective against gram-negative and some gram-positive bacterial pathogens of fish, e.g. aeromonads, flexibacteria, vibrios. Use for: Columnaris infections (Fin Rot, Saddleback, and Black Patch Necrosis Syndromes), Freshwater and Saltwater Furuncolosis (skin ulcers, systemic disease). Because it inhibits unique target enzymes needed for bacterial replication and DNA repair, it may be effective against bacteria unresponsive to other antibiotics.

Dosage & Administration:Pre-dissolve one tablet (500 mg) per 2 gallons of water in a small amount of water prior to adding to a hospital tank. Immerse for one hour. Repeat every day for 5-7 days with daily water changes after each treatment.

I have no idea if these types of treatments would work if I tried them. Do you have any experience with this product, or rather this method of dosing?

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-antibiotics.html

• Supporter

i personally don't, but i am happy to see that you are exploring and asking before you buy. where in India did you find these products? it will be good for the moderating team to keep track of fish anitbiotics for future recommendations. as you know, they're hard to come by in your country :)

i personally don't, but i am happy to see that you are exploring and asking before you buy. where in India did you find these products? it will be good for the moderating team to keep track of fish anitbiotics for future recommendations. as you know, they're hard to come by in your country :)

Thanks, Helen.

I do not get exactly the same products here. But since my research yielded that fishes can be treated with these antibiotics, that someone has tested them on fishes, determining the dosing, gives me a clue about antibiotic treatment.

I won't get fish flox here, but the main ingredient, Ciprofloxacin, as tablets. Similarly, the others as well.

So I was curious if I could treat my diseased fish with the main ingredient as mentioned in the Fish-Flox-like products.

Do you recommend this course of treatment, when traditional methods have failed?

Edited by bagho

• Supporter

I won't get fish flox here, but the main ingredient, Ciprofloxacin, as tablets. Similarly, the others as well.

from GP by prescription or over the counter meds?

from GP by prescription or over the counter meds?

The pharmacist is my friend. So over-the-counter without a prescription. :)