Earthworms

Jim_D

How do you clean out (do you?) earthworms before you feed them to your fish?

Do you clean them out when the earthworm is whole or do you cut them up and rinse them in a net under running water?

I only feed the ones you get at a bait shop and I just cut them up and serve but rarely since I can get frozen foods cheaply and easily.

I know a former goldfish importer who feeds earthworms used coffee grounds for a couple days before giving them to her goldfish. I'm not sure why exactly, and when I asked, she said, "It cleans 'em out." :idont

I usually just keep them overnight in some moist paper towels before feeding. They clean themselves out that way.

It doesn't help that my new fish are scared of earth worms though... my old ones did fine on them.

I have a worm factory with red wigglers.  It's been running for a year so I have thousands of worms.  I just pick some up a toss them in the pond.  The fish know what "wormy, wormy" means and come "running."  A fish approaches a worm, opens its mouth and the worm vanishes.

I can't imagine cutting up the worms.  Yeew!

I've always used JurassicDiet canned earth worms:

EasiEarthworm.jpg

and have never needed to worry about cleaning them out.

That is a good idea, I would have never thought of that.

My fish LOVE them, but they are getting hard to find. 

Edited by Acro

EasiEarthworm.jpg

I did not know these existed! Where do you usually get them? Are they available online somewhere? I usually get my worms at a bait shop, but this would be great for times when that is not an option. :)

I did not know these existed! Where do you usually get them? Are they available online somewhere? I usually get my worms at a bait shop, but this would be great for times when that is not an option.

I bought them from a reptile supply company online.  I don't remember name now, as it was a while ago, but they stopped selling them.  I've found them on amazon, but for way more than I want to spend.  I think they may be discontinued unfortunately.  Although the JurassiPet website has them listed as "coming soon":

http://www.jurassipet.com/Products/EasiDiets.html

How long can an opened can keep in the fridge?

After opening, I always froze the can, so they lasted a good long while.

Edited by Acro

Yeah, the jump in price like that probably means they are discontinued unfortunately. :(

I never thought to freeze canned goodies like that before. Mine often go bad before I can use them up because I only have two fish that eat them. I'll have to try that from now on, thanks for mentioning it. :)

EasiEarthworm.jpg

I found a source that is cheaper than amazon.  Check out PetsWarehouse:  http://www.petswarehouse.com/products/jurassidiet-easi-earthworm-12-oz-93834.html

:D