New & young black lionhead question?

I recently bought a baby lionhead (color: black) and I still don't know where his eyes are. I have two filters, one is fairly new and the other is a couple years old but it doesn't have that thing at the bottom around the tube that stops bigger particles from going in the tube and into the whole entire filter. I don't know the name of the actual thing but it's like a cap with openings around it that goes onto the tube that hangs inside the tank. Anyways, I did a water change and I left for 5-10 minutes and came back and couldn't see the black lionhead anywhere. I assumed it got sucked into the tube and it did. I took him out and he's doing fine, he just lost some scales around his body.

My questions are:

1. Do these "lost" scales grow back or will my black lionhead forever hold the scars from getting sucked into the tube?

2. Even when I first bought the black lionhead, I couldn't see where his eyes were. Is it possible, now, that he lost his eyes going into the filter tube? I've heard stories where people do water changes and the syphon accidentally sucks their goldfish's whole eyeball out and they end up just with one eye. How can I  tell where his eyes are? I tried examining him with a flashlight but I still can't seem to find any signs of eyeballs.

3. Ever since I bought him, he doesn't really seem to be an active swimmer. Sometimes, he floats for like 10 seconds, wiggles and moves and swims somewhere else but does anyone know if this is normal behavior? Any advice on how to make my goldfish more active swimmers if that's how they should be?

Edited by bluestars

• Supporter

ok, so is it the filter's intake tube that doesn't have the guard? or the waterchanger siphon?

to answer your questions. if a fish is matte black, then it's colour will return. the damaged site will look silverish for a while. sometimes, just the black comes off and the silver scales stay on the body. sometimes the scales will come off also, but they should grow back with pristine water and increased water changes.

black wenned fish, particularly lionheads who grow a full and sometimes overgrown wen can hide the eyes quite well. are you sure that the eyes are not there? even if they aren't and lets say they were sucked out by the tube, your fish can still live a normal and healthy life without them. it will certainly not be the first fish on this forum to have lost one or both eyes. most fish recover nicely and do well :)

the more important issue is for injuries suffered. if there are open wounds such as a vacant eye socket or the skin is split and bleeding where the scales may have come off, this needs to be addressed.

Eyes can sometimes be hard to see on black wenned fish. I made this image a long time ago for a member here that thought her black ranchu had no eyes. It's of my black ranchu Pirate.

pirateeyes.jpg

There are strains of perfectly, uniformly black ranchus that have very small or completely missing eyes even before the wen is big enough to cover them.  

Wow! I literally have not seen a Lionhead locally in YEARS......if I saw a BLACK ONE I would :thud THEN I WOULD BUY IT!!!!!!!! I might react the same way no matter what color it was!  I love Lionheads!!!