quick question on colour changes

As you know, a while back I had bought two small orandas from a local and independently owned LFS. I know the place is really reputable and they take great care of their stock but I have a weird question.

I know goldfish change colour, but how quickly can this happen? My one oranda I originally bought had a black moustache and a black spot on the caudal fin. Within a couple days of having her, she lost the moustache and spot. The strange part was I thought, okay maybe it's an ammonia burn on the tail, but with that being said, can goldies get ammonia burns on the lips that turn black? How quickly do goldies change colours? I always thought that it was very slow. 

I also know the food I feed them (pro gold) can also cause yellowing, but I know that to be gradual too. 

I'm just left wondering what in the world happened over the span of a couple days and it's been bugging me ever since.

Ammonia burns, as far as I am aware, can occur on the body as well as the fins. And goldfish color change can happen very quickly. So without the LFS water for testing it could be hard to know what the color was.

Savor that ProGold... Rick retired so there's no more of it left. :(

That little black mustache was probably the very last vestiges of his original fry coloring. Little black highlights like that virtually never stay into adulthood, and are almost always transitory.

Ammonia burns, as far as I am aware, can occur on the body as well as the fins. And goldfish color change can happen very quickly. So without the LFS water for testing it could be hard to know what the color was.

Savor that ProGold... Rick retired so there's no more of it left. :(

Oh thats so strange. I guess it'll remain a mystery!!

And you're kidding me!!! :(  Does that mean MMs are gone too???

That little black mustache was probably the very last vestiges of his original fry coloring. Little black highlights like that virtually never stay into adulthood, and are almost always transitory.

That could be it too, my new orandas are pretty small, so I wouldn't be surprised if thats the case!

Edited by Artsy Goldfish