Driftwood won't sink

I bought a long branch-like driftwood piece on Ebay last month for my new goldfish tank. I put it in the empty 20 gallon long tank and filled it half way with water so it is totally submerged with big rocks sitting on it to keep it held underwater. It has been soaking in water for 1 month already but it still wants to float!

Am I doing something wrong? I never had this problem with the other chunk of wood that I bought for my Pleco in the other tank. :idont

How long will it have to soak to become waterlogged? Any tips on what to do?

101_4112.jpg

Have you tried boiling it? Heat will help the wood to soak up the water better all the way to the center.

Hmmm no I haven't tried that. But it is 22 inches long by 10 inches wide where it is forked. How will I be able to boil something this long? :hmm

Get a big tub, put it in - poor boiling water on it :)

Other wise, let it soak in a tub of water. This also helps with it floating.

I don't have a big tub....except my bath tub :teehee Maybe if I clean the tub really well and rinse it with a lot of water I could lay it in there and pour boiling water over it perhaps?

Have you tried boiling it? Heat will help the wood to soak up the water better all the way to the center.

Hmmm no I haven't tried that. But it is 22 inches long by 10 inches wide where it is forked. How will I be able to boil something this long? :hmm

Got a big soup pot? If you can submerge it by half and flip it over after awhile it might work.

Got a big soup pot? If you can submerge it by half and flip it over after awhile it might work.

Nope, no big soup pot :no: I'll have to look in my cupboards for something else I suppose.

Sometimes people will weigh the wood down with big rocks, until it sinks on its own.  Alternatively, boiling would help.  Maybe borrow a neighbors soup pot, and flip it, as Chelsea suggested.  Sometimes dry wood just takes a while to sink.  If weighing it down with rocks doesn't work out, you can attach it to a piece of slate, and let the slate bottom weigh it down.

Gee, great advice! And I have been waiting a week for my driftwood to sink! Thanks so much!