Prazipro treatment as preventive

Niki

So I picked up some prazipro today, I want to treat my tanks as a preventative they do not show any signs of parasites or anything and I haven't treated for anything in the past. So there's no better time to start than now!

After reading the instructions I did not understand how to go about treatment, can you guys help me out with this? Also after treatment how often should I use it a a preventative, once or twice a year?

Since you haven't treated with this in the past, I'd suggest going for a full-on treatment. You'd be surprised at how many flukes a healthy-looking fish may be carrying, as shown by how they react to the Prazi treatment. After the initial 4 round treatments, you can go ahead and use it a couple times a year for 1-2 rounds without salt. 

Here is the treatment schedule: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

You can choose between 5 and 7 day rounds, whichever is more convenient for you. 

Since your fish have never shown signs of flukes, I wouldn't treat unless I was adding new fish.  Fish "learn" to coexist with their flukes and fish that live together share the same cooperative flukes.  Prazi does not completely eradicate flukes no matter how many rounds you do.  

However,  I would and do use prazi on both "old" and "new" fish when putting perfectly healthy fish from different sources together.  Fish who are "immune" to their own flukes are not immune to other flukes.  So if I had new fish in quarantine, before I added them to a pond I would treat the fish already in the pond with a round or two of prazi to protect the new fish from the resident flukes.  

Prazi is not completely harmless according to this paper.  (A readable copy is in post #11.)  So even if prazi treatment does not create prazi-resistant flukes, unnecessary treatment does not seem wise to me.

I do recall a discussion on GFK stating that it is possible to completely irradicate a pest within a closed aquarium system... but it's not going to happen on its own or without the cost of causing unnecessary stress.

I treat incoming fish for flukes (among other things) when the source itself showed signs of manifestation, as I want to also protect my other fish. I have recently started to scope samples from my tank and it really helps keep the mind at peace. If you have access to a scope, it's worth doing so. :)

If you don't see any physical signs of parasitic presence in an already established system, I would skip it. You can also do a physical "exam" to look inside the mouth/gills if you're not sure from just observation.

Praziquantel is good to have on hand, though. :D

Flukes are similar to how us humans live with all sorts of gross things inside us, such as E. coli. We all coexist with it!

Edited by Chai

I will just add that if you do decide to treat, do at least 2 rounds consecutively preferably with temps in the 70s (F) to eliminate the fluke eggs that may survive the first round.  Given the life cycle of the fluke, I have always failed to see the logic in doing just one round of Prazi for maintenance or otherwise.

How big is your tank? Personally, I treat lightly once a year (but haven't added any new fish to the tank).

I will be treating 2 40g's and 1 20g

Wow I can't quote everyone from my phone haha

Thank you all or the advise, I think I am goin to go ahead an treat for flukes as preventative, I'm going to check out the links posted. In my 20 gallon the fish is still daily new less than 3 months old in one of my other tanks I purchase a feeder fish (very healthy) and after reading so much it might ease my mind :-) an seeing is how I am doing two tanks I'm going to go ahea an treat he third tank.

By the end of this summer I hope to have new tanks and only two tanks.

So the plan is coffee, read links and figure out dosage and start treatment.

Since you haven't treated with this in the past, I'd suggest going for a full-on treatment. You'd be surprised at how many flukes a healthy-looking fish may be carrying, as shown by how they react to the Prazi treatment. After the initial 4 round treatments, you can go ahead and use it a couple times a year for 1-2 rounds without salt. 

Here is the treatment schedule: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

You can choose between 5 and 7 day rounds, whichever is more convenient for you. 

how much Prazi should I add for a 20g tank and how much should I add to a 40g tank?

how much Prazi should I add for a 20g tank and how much should I add to a 40g tank?

I believe the bottle says 1 Teaspoon per 20 gallons.  So, one Teaspoon for the 20 G and 2 Teaspoons for the 40 G  :)

Use the measures that are on the bottle. :)

Edit: Sniped! :rofl Thanks, Jared. :heart

Edited by ChelseaM

Question, on the 5 day treatment here and don't want to wait the 5 days for a water change, what should I do? I fed repashy and they made a huge mess of it....what was I thinking? I'd like to change at least half of the water tomorrow? But that would only be 2.5 days of treatment?

Wait until the end of day 3 that the Prazi has been in the tank, then change the water (vacuum heavily) and re-add the salt but not the Prazi. Prazi is only active for 3 days. the last two days in the round are so more fluke eggs can hatch since Prazi won't kill the eggs. Then just continue on as normal with your large WC at the end of the round.