Filtration opinions!

Hi guys. :D

I was going to ask this in the subbies forum but I thought it might be more useful for anyone's future references to ask here. (Thanks Alex for posting in the recent thread by Koko that reminded me of this factor! :hug )

I recently upgraded from a 40 breeder (actual gallonage held is closer to 50 than 40, holding about 49g with canister, 47g without), and now have my girls in a 75g.

I did purchase another supplemental filter of an API Superclean 50 after reading about how quiet it is, plus it also has a surface skimmer which totally sold me on it. Reviews were right, by the way. It is dead silent and runs the skimmer very efficiently. Though a weak gph for a 50 gallon filter, I have zero complaints so far. I even had to slightly baffle it as it has several intake locations. My other filter is a Fluval 406 canister.

Fluval 406 is approx 380 gph (cleaned monthly)

API Superclean 50 is approx 200gph (rinsed twice weekly)

Is this adequate for my tank, with my two weekly WCs of 90% and 50%?

With that small fish load you could skip the 50% change and still be fine.

It's just always been my routine to do two a week, I really don't mind it at all. :teehee

Sounds good to me. The Canister+HOB combo means you can always do a little less than with just HOBs. :)

Mira is in the big tank and you didn't post any pictures or vid?! :bat:

And really, Cat?! :krazy:

Edited by ChelseaM

I just worried about the long-term effect of when they're three monsters, but it looks to be okay so far.. Rinsing the hob sponges often really keeps it crystal clear. :D

Sorry about no updates/pics.. I was waiting until I knew everyone had settled in with one another and the phosphate removal wasnr affecting pH at all. :peeka

I feel like crap and I'm in bed so you get one lousy photo of how ugly it looks background-less, with the old air disc, and grumpy plants..hahahaaha. :rofl It looks so bad compared to the neat layout the 40b had. :cry

xcbY7n8.jpg

She was listed as a fantail but the tucked tail throws me off. She has a dorsal that you can't even see in the photo and she's probably tripled or more in size since arriving a 1g itty bitty.

Ok this shows their sizes even better, but still crappy. :rofl3

oH5rZRG.jpg

"Oooo there's food up there! :happydance "

"I EAT LITTLE FISH LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST! Jk I'm really passive. BUT I COULD DO IT!"

9XSVYH2.jpg