Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Am I blind, sick or just unique !

Wondering if you guys can give me some feedback about the color of one of my new residents..

I got him a week ago but since I saw him at the store I noticed a difference in his eyes which I've never seen before in a goldfish..

without the flash in his face they look soft blue (almost white) so I wonder if he has some kind of fungal disease, blind or just unique..

I asked this same question on D&D forum but since the topic is not related to this fish I decided to ask here..

What do you guys think ???

20150305_235804_zpsjpm6uiu5.jpg

20150305_235725_zps8fmwqigc.jpg

He is most likely blind in that eye. To me that is what it looks like. Fish with blind eyes tend to have a film over top of there eye.

Looks like a cataract to me.  Does he have this on both sides?  Is it nearly round and inside the eye?  :idont

He has this in both eyes, white(ish) nearly round circle inside of his "black" eye..

If blind.. how can he sees me through the glass or when above the QT tank??.. Sometimes he comes to the spot I am but others he just runs away when Im near..

If cataracts.. Is there any way to improve his life??

He might not be completely blind.  He may be able to tell dark from light so as you walk up to the tank and block the ambient lighting he knows the food guy is near.  :teehee

There isn't anything you can do as far as the cataracts.  If he is in a tank with another fish, just be sure he's getting enough food.  He will learn to sniff it out pretty quickly.  :D

He's beautiful!!!!!

Hare e might not be completely blind.  He may be able to tell dark from light so as you walk up to the tank and block the ambient lighting he knows the food guy is near.  :teehee

There isn't anything you can do as far as the cataracts.  If he is in a tank with another fish, just be sure he's getting enough food.  He will learn to sniff it out pretty quickly.  :D

Do average "blind" fish get to grow to their full potential or they're limited because of the disease ??

I don't know that I have enough experience with visually impaired fish personally but I don't see why he can't lead a happy normal "full potential" life as long as he's getting the food he needs to grow.  :D

I have an eyeless goldfish (bought her that way, seems to have been born eyeless), a one eyed goldfish, and a third goldfish that has a cataract in one of it's two eyes.  All the fish act like the normal two eyed fish I've kept.  They are happy, swim around, eat and do all the normal stuff that goldfish do.  There are several other members who have visually impaired fish who live full, happy, healthy lives.

Enjoy your fish and good luck!  :D

He has this in both eyes, white(ish) nearly round circle inside of his "black" eye..

If blind.. how can he sees me through the glass or when above the QT tank??.. Sometimes he comes to the spot I am but others he just runs away when Im near..

I have a fish that is mostly blind. She does not interact with me in the same way as my other fish, but she does seem to sense when I am hanging around the tank and will come up in hopes for food.

She's a pretty slow fish and I don't think gets enough food on her own, so we do a lot of hand feeding. I will also float her in a big bowl of water and give her extra pellets. I would recommend that you get this fish used to being handled (and starting with hand-feeding bloodworms might be a good way) before trying to wrangle it into a bowl. Soon enough you'd be able to just guide it into the bowl, but starting small is a good idea.

Of course, there is a chance that your fish will find food just fine by itself, and none of this will be necessary! :P

Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. :)

I have an eyeless goldfish (bought her that way, seems to have been born eyeless), a one eyed goldfish, and a third goldfish that has a cataract in one of it's two eyes.  All the fish act like the normal two eyed fish I've kept.  They are happy, swim around, eat and do all the normal stuff that goldfish do.  There are several other members who have visually impaired fish who live full, happy, healthy lives.

Enjoy your fish and good luck!  :D

I have a fish that is mostly blind. She does not interact with me in the same way as my other fish, but she does seem to sense when I am hanging around the tank and will come up in hopes for food.

She's a pretty slow fish and I don't think gets enough food on her own, so we do a lot of hand feeding. I will also float her in a big bowl of water and give her extra pellets. I would recommend that you get this fish used to being handled (and starting with hand-feeding bloodworms might be a good way) before trying to wrangle it into a bowl. Soon enough you'd be able to just guide it into the bowl, but starting small is a good idea.

Of course, there is a chance that your fish will find food just fine by itself, and none of this will be necessary! :P

Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. :)

Thanks..!!

I don't think I will have an issue with food with this guy..

he is the one that eats the most.. he literally chases & pushes away the other two roommates when I feed them