Eggs or infection? Please help.

bagh

A few days ago, I had to post a similar thread about John. Sorry for posting another one similar to that, but this has me worried since today morning.

Today, something has worried me. Since yesterday, this Oranda hasn't shown much interest in food, also sitting at the bottom 50% of the time like you see in the video. His belly is swelling. I'm not sure this is eggs or infection.

A male fish chased him along a few days ago.

I lightly pressed his belly, and it is normal. Not too hard, not too soft and mushy.

I'm so tensed about him. If you think he is normally egg bound, I'll start taking appropriate care of him. If you think this is infection, I'll start medicating him right now.

Please advise.

How do the scales look from above? :idont

How does the vent look to you? Any redness?

No pineconing till now. About the vent, I'll try taking a picture and upload it alright?

Edited by bagho

I don't see the swelling, but the bottom sitting and lack of appetite are not a good sign.  I would put her in a QT and add Epsom at 1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.  I would also fast her for a couple of days.  During this time, look for poop and make notes of what it looks like.  What antibiotics do you have on hand in case this is an infection?

I don't see the swelling, but the bottom sitting and lack of appetite are not a good sign.  I would put her in a QT and add Epsom at 1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.  I would also fast her for a couple of days.  During this time, look for poop and make notes of what it looks like.  What antibiotics do you have on hand in case this is an infection?

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am quarantining him now, and putting him in Epsom salt. I have access to any antibiotic you'd suggest.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am quarantining him now, and putting him in Epsom salt. I have access to any antibiotic you'd suggest.

Let's just observe for a bit.

I would have Metronidazole powder plus a gram negative antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa on hand.

Let's just observe for a bit.

I would have Metronidazole powder plus a gram negative antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa on hand.

Great advice! I'll keep you updated. For now, he'll be in quarantine, and I'll notify you of any change that I might notice tomorrow morning, and go to the antibiotics from there. =)

An autopsy revealed no presence of eggs, but the whole gut was infected, starting from the mouth. Do you think I should start medicating other fishes in the tank who are showing signs of bloating?  Like John, in my previous thread, even if the non-eating symptoms aren't immediately obvious? Should I start a gram negative antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin? I have some Ciprofloxacin medicated fish food at my disposal.

That's very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss.. :(

Cipro is excellent for internal infections that stem from the digestive system, but unfortunately I know nothing of its effects in fish. :no:

I'm sorry your beautiful Oranda had passed away.  Very sad. :hug

The Mods might want you to answer the d&d checklist of questions, that you can find under Jared's post above, seeing that you are asking for advice on your other fish in the tank. 

I do hope they will be okay.  Are more having the same symptoms?

That's very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss.. :(

Cipro is excellent for internal infections that stem from the digestive system, but unfortunately I know nothing of its effects in fish. :no:

Thank you for your concern. I fed some Cipro food to a fish that was quite bloated, until it's too late. I made the food by dissolving a 500mg Cipro tablet in some water, soaking some food pellets in it, and drying them off. Feeling too tensed. Let's wait for the results. I do not know if I should feed the medicated food to John, too.

I'm sorry your beautiful Oranda had passed away.  Very sad. :hug

The Mods might want you to answer the d&d checklist of questions, that you can find under Jared's post above, seeing that you are asking for advice on your other fish in the tank. 

I do hope they will be okay.  Are more having the same symptoms?

Thank you.

Okay, I'll be filling out the form.

Yes, John is bloated too. Another fish as well. Not sure if they are eggs or infection, but I'm more propensed to think it's an infection. So I have started medicating one oranda straight away. But they're not showing symptoms of bottom sitting or reluctance towards eating. But usually when they do show it, it's too late to treat.

That is why I'm in a big quandary if what I'm doing is right, or just harming them.