Reddish Bump on Goldfish (nitrite spike?)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 1.0 (very strange...wondering what's causing this nitrite spike?)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 72 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons, since December
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 200 HOB and Rena Filstar Large XP3 canister
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2x per week, 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 -- 1 large, 1 medium, 2 small/medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari saki pellets, small meals throughout the day, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, once a day, peas occasionally
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 months ago I added the fish that this post is about
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I just did an aggressive treatment of PraziPro and 0.3% salt, as detailed in this post: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119861-white-markings-on-orandas-tail-have-me-stumped/
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? a whitish-pink bump on the side of this fish
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? she has been bottom sitting for the last few days

Hello,

I was actually planning on making this post anyway, as my white Lionhead has been bottom sitting for the past few days. Occasionally she will swim around, but it's just for a minute, and she always ends up back at the bottom. Sometimes she swims up to the top, grabs a gulp of air, and then swims back down...I have two filters running, an HOB and a canister, as well as an airstone bubbler. She is eating well.

I was getting ready to do a water change, and noticed this whitish-pink lump on her side. When I went to test the water, I see that I have a nitrite spike, as it's at about 1.0. No idea where this came from...admittedly, I haven't checked for nitrites in a while, but I was pretty shocked regardless. So I'm going to do a pretty large change here. 

I just went through a pretty intense cycle of PraziPro, 0.3% salt, and salt dips. I was hoping to be done with fishy problems for a while, but I guess not :( 

For the record, the other 3 fish seem to be doing fine -- so far they look normal and are very active and hungry!

IMG_20150305_203117318_HDR_zps6qyk0k6z.j

I'll be starting my big water change as I await your response.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Meghan

Wanted to add -- this is the same fish I wrote about in this post:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/120261-is-something-happening-to-my-fishs-wen-photos-inside/

I ended up doing a treatment of Furan 2, and added an airstone, which seemed to help...not sure if it was one or the other, but she was doing much better after that. AND, her wen is almost completely grown back at this point :)

Another photo...not sure if it's any better than the first, but here it is...

I just did a 100% water change and double dosed Prime (although the tap nitrite is 0)...

IMG_20150305_230956533_HDR_zpssuy6xryb.j

Edited by misssmountain

And another...oh, I also added 0.1% salt...hope that wasn't a bad idea. I can always do another WC if so.

It's only been 30 minutes or so, but she does seem to have perked up a little since the 100% WC...

(PS -- the first photo was taken just a little before the other ones -- it doesn't look as red, but from certain angles it does look a little more whitish/pink...it hasn't gotten any worse over the course of the evening)

IMG_20150305_233221032_HDR_zpsu6efxsep.j

Edited by misssmountain

Thanks for filling out the form and the pics. :D

I'm not overly worried about the spot.  I'm more concerned about the bottom sitting.  It could be an infection or a reaction to the nitrite.  

Have you seen her poop?  Is she eating ok?  Is she any perkier since the 100% WC?  (I know you said she was 30 minutes later but how about now?)

I would test your nitrite again today  . . . 

Also I'm surprised you still have ammonia in the tank.  I see you have some in the tap but by now your BBs should have taken care of that.

Has she been treated with any antibiotics?  Do you have any on hand?

I'm not overly worried about the spot.  I'm more concerned about the bottom sitting.  It could be an infection or a reaction to the nitrite.  

Have you seen her poop?  Is she eating ok?  Is she any perkier since the 100% WC?  (I know you said she was 30 minutes later but how about now?)

Also I'm surprised you still have ammonia in the tank.  I see you have some in the tap but by now your BBs should have taken care of that.

Thanks for the response! She still seems pretty mopey this morning, but has been pooping and eating normally :) The spot looks pretty much the same, definitely not worse...

I personally haven't done any antibiotics, but I believe the place I got her from did a few months ago...not sure what it was though.

I have kanaplex, metroplex, a little left of furan 2 (and can get more locally), prazipro, pimifix, and melafix.

Will test the nitrite in a few minutes...

Ammonia is at 0.5 and nitrite at 0.25...this tank has been running since December and of course has previously been 100% cycled. 

When this fish started rapidly losing her wen, I did bulk up their daily feedings, and have pretty much stayed on that same feeding schedule...at this point maybe I'm overfeeding? That's really the only thing I can think of...

I'll pick up some Tetra SafeStart today (I know there are varying opinions on this, but I've used it with great success over the past year), and also a 10g in case I need to make a hospital tank for the Lionhead. 

Just waiting to hear what the next steps should be :)

:hi Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your ranchu. Such a cutie that one. You are in good hands with fantailfan1.

BTW, kanaplex and metroplex are antibiotics.

Will you make a video of her and include a shot of the entire tank?  I think it's a great idea to pick up a QT . . . 

This is the tank:

IMG_20150306_143115624_HDR_zpssjknbr3k.j

And here is a video I just took...I'm not really sure how to embed it into the post, but here is the URL

Edited by misssmountain

Thanks.  I'm wondering if this isn't one of those cases where the wen is so heavy she needs a rest.  She looks good when she does swim.  Let me get the opinions of more of the mods . . .   :D

Sounds good, thank you. A bit more info too, in case this helps:

When I first got her in early January, she was in QT and did quite a bit of "resting" on the bottom. I actually named her 'Turbo' as a joke kind of.

I moved her to the main tank a little prematurely, where she did okay for a bit, but after a few days was bottom sitting 100% -- no swimming whatsoever. Wouldn't eat unless food was literally touching her face. That's when her wen shrunk down drastically. I made a post here, but didn't get much response. The place I got her from recommended Seachem Neoplex, but I couldn't find it locally and needed to do something immediately, so in a desperate move, at the recommendation of my local goldfish specialty store, I did a treatment of Furan 2.

She started doing much better after that -- got her appetite back, swam around actively, gained back her wen, etc. My boyfriend jokingly asked if the Furan 2 was "fish crack" because of what a difference we saw in her.

THEN, I did the big fluke treatment over the course of a couple weeks, as 2 of my other fish were showing visible signs. 

Maybe about a week and a half ago is when she started sitting again -- BUT, remember, when she was more active was directly after the Furan 2, and her wen had shrunk down dramatically. It has grown significantly since then, I think it's even a little bigger than it was when she first arrived.

Also, this fish does have a history of some floatiness issues...I haven't seen any problems related to that in a while, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

She does get very excited when I go near the tank -- in fact, the first video I took earlier when I'd just gotten home, she swam around for a good 30 seconds happily, so I had to make another video, haha. 

Still curious about the red bump, of course, and will keep an eye on the nitrite levels. I'll be feeding a little lighter for the next couple of days and hopefully will get that sorted out...

This is the first video I took...what she looks like when she's a little more active. You can actually hear me laughing creepily in the background because I think she is just so darn cute! lol. Her name originally was "Turbo," which quickly turned into "Turbz," then I noticed my male giving her a lot of attention and realized she was probably a girl, so now she is "Princess Turbz." haha.

Edited by misssmountain

The one time I had a nitrite spike, the cause was over-cleaning the tank and the symptom that made me check the parameters was bottom sitting.  Whatever the cause of your ammonia and nitrite readings, you should start by decreasing the food amount until both readings are zero.  I suggest cutting the food in half.  

Is it typical for the other fish to hang out at the top the way they are in the photo?  That could also be a symptom of excess nitrite.  Prime will protect the fish from ammonia up to 1.0 ppm and the salt you have added will protect against nitrite.  Considering that you have a tall tank without a lot of surface area, I think you should increase aeration.  A bubble wall all across the back of the aquarium would be nice.

Thanks.  I'm wondering if this isn't one of those cases where the wen is so heavy she needs a rest.  She looks good when she does swim.  Let me get the opinions of more of the mods . . .   :D

Hi again,

Quick update -- as of yesterday evening, she has been swimming around much better. I added the Tetra SafeStart and held back on feedings yesterday, and as of this morning, the ammonia and nitrite are just reading as trace amounts. 

The bump on her side is still there, but it's all white now -- just looks like a whitehead, so my guess is that it is on its way out.

So...hopefully this was all just a result of that little nitrite spike, and we won't have to use any meds! I'll keep you posted if I notice anything getting worse.