Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

How many times a week should water changes be done?

I was wanting to know how often should I do water changes. I have a jumbo Oranda in a 20 gallon long aquarium with a 40gallon canister filter. I normally  do 2-3 water changes a week throughout out the week days so on Saturday and Sunday I can just sit back and rest. I think that it is a bit much though. I usually do water changes Monday Wednesday and Friday if possible. 

is this too much or not enough?

Do you test for nitrates?

You can do anywhere from 1 to 7 changes per week.  It depends on how much you change each time.  Most people here do one or two changes a week, changing anywhere from 50% to 90% of the water.  Some people choose to make smaller changes daily or every second day.  

How much water are you changing each time?

I did two ~90% a week on my 40 breeder, but now that I've upgraded, I'll be doing one ~90% and one of about ~50%. :)

You can never do to much.

Bigger is better. One 90% water change per week is better than two 45% changes in one week. More pollutants will be removed.

Use your Nitrate test as a guide.  You want to keep your Nitrates below 40 at all times.  How big is "Jumbo"?  Is your tap water pH close to that of the tank?  What is the GPH of your filter?

He is 9inches tap water is 7 tanks water is 7 ph of filter is 40.

GPH (gallons per hour) is 40?

Now its like 600 I got confused sorry. I misinterpreted the question. Its a little over 600gph

Now its like 600 I got confused sorry. I misinterpreted the question. Its a little over 600gph

:rofl  Well, that's certainly sufficient!

That's a big fish for a twenty.  Have you considered upgrading the tank?  It would mean more room for the fish and less water changes for you :)

Yes this is his quarantine tank till I get a larger tank I am hoping if mother nature allows me too go one.I am going to look for one. 55gallon or 75 gallon nothing less than 50gallon.

Edited by GoldfishMaiden

there are no 600 gph filters that  am aware of. if the is such a thing, it would make tremendous current in a 20 gallon.  did you actually measure the fish or just take a guess? are you including the tail or not?

there are no 600 gph filters that  am aware of. if the is such a thing, it would make tremendous current in a 20 gallon.  did you actually measure the fish or just take a guess? are you including the tail or not?

I was wondering about that, too.  What's the brand/model #  :idont

there are no 600 gph filters that am aware of. if the is such a thing, it would make tremendous current in a 20 gallon. did you actually measure the fish or just take a guess? are you including the tail or not?

Aqua Top, Sun Sun, Tetratec, and Zen Blue all make canisters that are near the 600 GPH range. :idont

I believe one of the big fancy Fluval G series are a little over 600 as well.

I assume it would be quite a current for a 20g, though. :o My 406 had quite a current in the 50 and I had to aim it towards a wall.

Edited by Chai

I measured head to tail 9inches and it is a SunSun canister filter it really docent cause much terrible flow in my 20 gallon I have a flow control value that helps thought

That's great that your going to look for a bigger tank for your big fish.  He's going to love having extra room to swim.  I'd just stick to your water change schedule for now until you get that bigger tank.  It seems to be working for you and your fish.  Or, I'm sure with your big filter you can probably do two large 85% plus water changes a week.  (like on Mon and Thurs)

I measured head to tail 9inches and it is a SunSun canister filter it really docent cause much terrible flow in my 20 gallon I have a flow control value that helps thought

Would you measure -- or at least estimate -- the standard length.  That is the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.   The tail fin has nothing to do with the bioload of the fish.  Several of my fancy goldfish have tails that make up well over half of the total length (including tail).

Yup one of my fish has a tail longer than her. :)

Such a stubby girl :teehee

My smallest adult fancy, Tiny Dancer, may be 9" total length.   (It's hard to tell in the pond.)  Her tail is easily twice her body length.