Ruby, the New Bun Bun :)

Black

As some of you probably know, I adopted a beautiful little bun from the RSPCA about 10 days ago.

We already had 2 rescue rabbits and had no intention of getting a 3rd, until I saw how white red-eyed buns were having a hard time finding Forever homes. I felt sad and figured we could probably squeeze in one more and make another little life happy :)

It's felt like a very looooong 10 days trying to bond the trio, and it has been especially difficult between the two females. Edie has been very protective of her territory, but with the lovely Tammy's help, I have been trying all kinds of tricks to get her to accept the new bun!

Today there has been a huge step forward and I feel they are about 90% there! :Jig:

It's such a relief to know the hardest parts are over and that time will now do the rest to ensure 3 happy bunnies :)

Pics time :nana

1st challenge- finding a neutral space that none of the bunnies have been in before:

6dd6c95d46cd0d8aa85bd7a345f234e4_zpsa0ab

The 'Forced Snuggles' trick!

a27427109ba912af658d08bfe4394f85_zpsfca3

To supervise the bonding over night, we bought them up to the bedroom....

dd1c389b6736dd65f1e9a95c4f9d2126_zps9c8d

... But the thumping was keeping everyone awake so had to relocate to the kitchen for 4 nights!

5c467b408f4b898bc1f56636eaecde7b_zps75dd

Blurring territories by bringing the hutch inside:

cde555c9261a70f259b980027ac569ef_zps80ce

Supervised shared meal times:

ba6f72f56307006c1f2a51cbe2b0bb84_zps2594

And many many tiring stages in between, such as:

- Food on their heads such as banana, to encourage grooming

- Stressful car rides to encourage cuddling

- Confining them to all kinds of spaces (including outside) and over night

- Throwing away or washing all their rugs and toys (x2)

- Cleaning and spraying objects and surfaces with diluted white vinegar to disguise scent marking

- Moving furniture around

- Bonding them in pairs

- Taking the girls to my cleaning jobs in their carrier, in order to supervise

- Using the vacuum noise to break up fights, as we'll as gloves and dust pans!

Tonight, we celebrated their progress by buying a new big green rug for them (it looks like grass :D ) and some apple fairy lights to welcome her into her new home :teehee

0bf8dc35a95cef277a46103806d50469_zps0044

6a45c059aa71079c2919d84459979438_zpsf981

All that's missing now is a new play tunnel :)

Here are some pics of Ruby taken this evening:

86be3ebb1ed6452bc0733b6729ad6b20_zps05db

8cb7c94c2e523e05e86c179f81dc6ac8_zpsf81c

41bdbea8fb17751efafa4a378a7a3c37_zps3d7f

She is quite scared of people so that is our next challenge, but there isn't any rush for that. Hopefully the confidence of the other two around us will rub off on her

Special thanks to Tammy for putting up with all my updates and complaining,

and thank you for looking :)

Congratulations on your new bunny. Beautiful. That was fun a fun post to read and see all of your photo's. You've come a long way with the three of them bonding and what not. That was funny that you relocated in a different sleeping area because of the noise instead of your rabbits. (very cute :) )

I like their new bright green rug. If your bunnies get bored they can look up and watch Googles.

Holy Jeez :o I didn't realize all the crap that's been going on at your house :rofl only funny from my point of view :hug

Love the pics! :heart

My favorite behavioral trick = putting banana on bunny head to encourage grooming :tomuch:

Love the tricks you used!!! Awesome job to you and Tammy!! :happydance:

I like the green rug and lights for their little area. Makes it so Spring-ish.

Incoming suggestions of outdoorsy things might be on the horizon. :hide:

This might be the horizon. :ehh

FWVmeLv.jpg

ehqZKn7.jpg

:tomuch:

Edited by Chai

So glad you go her!!! And named her Ruby :D:heart :heart

OMG the forced snuggles :wub: :wub: :heart it'll be worth all the trouble in the beginning in the end :bighug

Congratulations on your new bunny. Beautiful. That was fun a fun post to read and see all of your photo's. You've come a long way with the three of them bonding and what not. That was funny that you relocated in a different sleeping area because of the noise instead of your rabbits. (very cute :) )I like their new bright green rug. If your bunnies get bored they can look up and watch Googles.

Thank you :)

Haha, it was some of the worst nights sleep ever.... I've been more comfortable (and warmer) camping!

Holy Jeez :o I didn't realize all the crap that's been going on at your house :rofl only funny from my point of view :hug

Love the pics! :heart

My favorite behavioral trick = putting banana on bunny head to encourage grooming :tomuch:

I know! It's been so stressful :thud but worth it :D

You might be able to see in the 'forced snuggles' pic that they have sticky banana heads after the banana pieces fell off. It didn't work by the way :rolleyes:

Love the tricks you used!!! Awesome job to you and Tammy!! :happydance:

I like the green rug and lights for their little area. Makes it so Spring-ish.

Incoming suggestions of outdoorsy things might be on the horizon. :hide:

This might be the horizon. :ehhFWVmeLv.jpgehqZKn7.jpg

:tomuch:

Wow, what a beautiful bunny home! Thanks for sharing that Cat :)

So glad you go her!!! And named her Ruby :D:heart :heart

OMG the forced snuggles :wub: :wub: :heart it'll be worth all the trouble in the beginning in the end :bighug

Thank you Mikey :hug:heart

I had no idea bunnies were such complex creatures. Glad it's working out with them now. :)

They are much more complex and interesting than people realise. They just aren't given a chance to reveal their personalities and behaviour when kept in hutches :(

yaysmiles.gif

I really like their rug! Gimme.gif

Thank you! :nana:happydance:Jig:

So cute! She looks just like my old bunny, Buttons. I love rabbits but have developed a pretty bad allergy to them so no more for me :(

I'm so sorry you've developed an allergy to them :(:bighug

I know how it feels, I'm allergic to cats and most dogs and I love them both. Do you have any other pets?

• Helper

So cute! She looks just like my old bunny, Buttons. I love rabbits but have developed a pretty bad allergy to them so no more for me :(

I know how it feels, I'm allergic to cats and most dogs and I love them both. Do you have any other pets?

I do :) I have 2 cats and 2 dogs as well as a rat...Im allergic to him too though

Wow!  I'm glad all this work is paying off for you and the buns.  This reads like a tutorial for bunny-addition.  Good work to you and Tammy.

I did kinda write so it could give people ideas if they are in a similar situation. You never know!

I do :) I have 2 cats and 2 dogs as well as a rat...Im allergic to him too though

Are you ok with the kitty Kats and dogs?

I'm so glad that they're finally friends now! :nana  The pics are great, and now we'll need daily updates! ;)

I'm always happy to encourage people getting new bun buns. :D

:bighug !

Awwww so cute! I like Ruby best because she looks like my Siamese cat! :teehee  Is Ruby a Himalayan rabbit? I wasn't sure because she doesn't look like she has the dark legs/feet of Himalayan rabbits. :idont

Congrats on your new bun bun :D