How to go from heated tank to cold water..

My GF are in the salt treatment program with a heater. When I wean them off the salt, they will be going into a new tank (40B) and possibly without heat. Is this a good idea, or should I get a heater for the new tank?

Why not sterilize and use the same heater at a lower temp?

If you don't know how cold your house gets, put a cup of warm water somewhere with an aquarium thermometer and check in it right around the time you go to bed to see what it reads. :)

If the temperature difference between the heated tank and the house is no more than about 10o F, just match the temperature of the water in the new tank to that in the old.   Put in the fish and let the tank cool to room temperature.  If it is substantially more than 10o F, you can put the heater in the new tank (with warm water in it as above), set it to midway between the room temperature and that you have been using.  Then lower the temperature setting by a few degrees each day until you are no longer heating.