Should I be treating for Flukes?

What I've read about Flukes is really confusing to me so far. The websites I've read it off of including Kokos make it seem like it's present in almost all goldfish and something that you should treat for periodically. But from the few articles I've stumbled upon I've read that the only way to truly see flukes is to swab the goldfish and take a look under a microscope? If that's the case do I just take a plain old cotton swab and swipe it gently around the gills of one of my goldfish and then try to study it under a microscope? I don't really want to treat for flukes unless I have too.. I've had my goldfish in an established tank for around 3 months and they haven't shown really many symptoms of flukes besides recently as in earlier tonight they did a little more bottom sitting than was normal for them, and my fantail Butterball kind of seemed like he could be rubbing against the sponge filter periodically. (Not sure if he's just being a weirdo or if he' actually trying to scratch.) I'm probably just being an overtly worried fish mama, but knowing a little more about flukes from you lovely koko memebers and whether I should be treating or not would be more than soothing to the mind of this 17 year old newbie goldfish keeper. :) Thanks everyone for putting up with all my newbie questions! You guys rock!! ;)

Yes, to see flukes you need a microscope. I have not done this so others will need to tell you exactly where to swab your goldfish.

The medicine we recommend for treating flukes is relatively mild and it is not an antibiotic. It is praziquantel. Products like PraziPro and Aqua Prazi are praziquantel medicine that people in this community have used. We also use salt in addition to the prazi for the fluke treatment.

My fish started showing fluke symptoms before I started to treat them for flukes. Because I waited that long, during the prazi treatment my goldfish got a secondary infection and I had to use antibiotics in addition to the prazi. I feel that if I knew to treat them before they started showing fluke symptoms, they would have had a better chance of not getting a secondary infection that required antibiotics. For this reason and because prazi is relatively mild, I recommend you do a salt and prazi treatment before symptoms present.

Edited by LisaCGold

Thanks for replying, I'll be ordering some Prazipro tonight and will start treatment as soon as it arrives. Should I be doing treatments every few months? Or is it a one time thing?

For the first time prazi treatment, you'll want to do at least 3-4 rounds of prazi with salt (more information on that is below). Then do 1 round of prazi without salt every 4-6 months.

Here are some threads you should check out regarding the prazi treatment:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Check those threads out and post any questions you have.

Now before you actually proceed, please fill out the D&D form and post it in this thread to give us a sense of your tank system. You can find a link to the form below in my signature. Also, please post a picture of your tank. You can upload a photo in photobucket.com and post a link in this thread. All this information will help us to determine what things to consider before you proceed with the prazi and salt treatment.

If you have access to a scope, that would be the best way to go. However, it's something that spreads very easily even in the most healthiest-appearing stock. Similar to deworming very young pets without doing a fecal sample. If the parasites are present, you'll know. It's gentle (for both furry pets and scaled ones) enough to be okay to do of you do not have the ability to check. :)

Edited by Chai

Thanks Chai, I do have access to a scope via my school so that'll be my project tomorrow, :) hoping somehow the finbabes don't actually have flukes but considering one is from Walmart and my other was from petsmart I am almost 90% sure I'll be seeing some flukes under the microscope tomorrow. :thumbdown Good thing I have some prazipro on its way! :)

Since there are gill flukes and body flukes, you'll want to do a scraping from various places on the body of your fish (including fins) in addition to the gills. Now I've never done this, so others may chime in as to the best places to do a scraping.

Here is a video that Helen, one of our moderators, did of a baby fluke: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103334-baby-fluke/

Let us know what you discover!