It started with three small goldfish.

Cost...less than $10. Twenty  days later, there were two. Now, less than a month later, and approx $360 in expenses, we have a 40 gallon tank,a new filter, a stand for the tank to sit on and other assorted accoutriments. How did I fall into this trap? On the positive side, Goldie and Gracie have started to eat cucumbers, although they will not be in their new home for a couple of weeks.

I spent my weekend upgrading my tank and realized the same thing... After making the house look like a tornado hit it with pieces of destroyed old stand and pieces of new stand, along with tons of stuff everywhere that I'd be putting under the new tank.

Here my partner and I have spent so much for these two fish (oh lord you don't want to know...). One of them I drove with me about 8 hours in a bucket with a battery-operated airpump from NJ to where I live, a gift from another kokonut and the other costed me about $6.50 at my LFS... But it looks worth it at this point. Big happy healthy fish, big bright spacious tank, quite an attractive focal point for us humans, but they're enjoying more than we could ever know. :D

I don't regret a single penny spent. :heart

Edited by Chai

Yep. :)

Bummmer :(......how long is the treatment?

Guess what, I have another question. What a surprise, huh...;)   I have a filter in the new tank that came out of a mature tank, to cycle the water. This per advice here on Koko. The question is, can I remove it after several days of cycling? Is the tank now ready to go?

Fantail, that is insane. 50% WC? That is not going to happen on the 40 gallon tank.

Go buy a pond pump like this from harbor freight: http://t.harborfreight.com/200-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68372.html

VKTLTjG.jpg

And then a bucket, and some hosing that reaches a tub of sink

http://t.homedepot.com/s/Vinyl%20tubing?searchtype=text

http://t.homedepot.com/s/Bucket?searchtype=text

It'll drain in no time.

Turn the water on with the bucket under the spout, place the pump in, and it'll fill it right back up.

There's no other way I'd be doing water changes on my tank :rofl

Edited by Chai

Too far from a water source? :(

My hose is about 30 ft... I assume you could add as much or as little as you need. It really really makes it a lot less painful and you can kick back and relax while it does the work for you. :)

Fantail, that is insane. 50% WC? That is not going to happen on the 40 gallon tank.

It might be easier to do the prazi treatment in the 10 gallon if you can do large WCs on the 40.  :D

Definitely how it started with me too except with a small difference: 
I googled goldfish care, found koko's and promptly returned the fish the next day to the store until I could buy the equipment and housing :P Seriously thankful for Kokos!!

My hose is about 30 ft... I assume you could add as much or as little as you need. It really really makes it a lot less painful and you can kick back and relax while it does the work for you. :)

Yes, it is too far. We have a bathroom within that distance,but the faucet would not work with that connection.

Yes, it is too far. We have a bathroom within that distance,but the faucet would not work with that connection.

Im not sure I get what you mean..

The pump does not connect to the faucet. :hmm

Im not sure I get what you mean..

The pump does not connect to the faucet. :hmm

That is not what I said Chai. The faucet would not work with the connector on the hose.

Welcome to goldfish keeping. My story began with "so I got this preformed pond liner, took it home and started digging." And I have not stopped digging into the ground or my bank account since! Excellent passtime!

I googled goldfish care, found koko's and promptly returned the fish the next day to the store until I could buy the equipment and housing :P Seriously thankful for Kokos!!

I envy you, but I am different It's like a "roach motel" They check in but they can't check out. :(

I envy you, but I am different It's like a "roach motel" They check in but they can't check out. :(
Don't say that about yourself as a fish keeper! They are better off with you than many many other places they could have gone. :hug

Allen, is it a half bath or a full bath? If you have a place to put a bucket or bowl under a water source, the pond pump method would work just fine. :)

(I have to do that right now, because none of my sinks at college work with the python, unlike when I am at home.)

And oh yes...

welcome to the world of goldfish.

Edited by ChelseaM

Don't say that about yourself as a fish keeper! They are better off with you than many many other places they could have gone. :hug

I just meant that we don't return pets, even fish. Believe me ,it was tempting, when I found out how difficult and all consuming this hobby is.