Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Update on my betta tank, future plans.

Its definitely been a while since the last time I posted on Kokos. I've been going through a metamorphis in college and all.

Update on my fish: Sadly, my betta passed yesterday due to old age, he was getting inactive for the last two months and only went up to eat. I still want to thank Kokos for the guidance since I got my betta back in June 2012. 

I'm planning to get a new betta soon next week but I'm not going to jump to that conclusion. I want to prepare and make changes to my 10 gal before I add a new betta in there.

Heres some things I have been thinking about,

-My EcoComplete Substrate has been around since the same time I got my Betta in June 2012. Do I need to replace it soon?

-Should I consider getting a UV sterilizer just to be safe so that unwanted micro organisms flow around in the tank. Plus my algae is still a bit out of control even though I completely wiped it down last month some of it is growing again. Any UV sterilizers you guys recommend for a 10 gal? My dad thinks having a UV sterilizer is a waste of money and he says I can just change water (which he is wrong -_- and idk how to explain this to him)

-I'm planning to get a Giant Betta so I'm gonna throughly look online and look to see if there are local breeders around my area (Dupage County, IL), its 0-30F here in Illinois and worried how the bettas can be shipped here to my house.

Feel free to correct anything, and advice!  :thumbup2:

-My EcoComplete Substrate has been around since the same time I got my Betta in June 2012. Do I need to replace it soon?

-Should I consider getting a UV sterilizer just to be safe so that unwanted micro organisms flow around in the tank. Plus my algae is still a bit out of control even though I completely wiped it down last month some of it is growing again. Any UV sterilizers you guys recommend for a 10 gal? My dad thinks having a UV sterilizer is a waste of money and he says I can just change water (which he is wrong -_- and idk how to explain this to him)

-I'm planning to get a Giant Betta so I'm gonna throughly look online and look to see if there are local breeders around my area (Dupage County, IL), its 0-30F here in Illinois and worried how the bettas can be shipped here to my house.

Get rid of the EcoComplete and replace it if desired. It breaks down over time and can cause pH fluctuations.

Don't worry about a UV sterilizer - they're extremely expensive for such a small tank. You can let the tank go for a week without getting another fish and that should kill off anything that requires a host. Just make sure to supplement the nitrifying bacteria somehow, whether you choose to put in fish food or what. Honestly, your dad is partially right. Do a 1005 water change and, if you want, disinfect everything (except the filter due to the beneficial bacteria in there) with vinegar. Honestly, I think you're worrying too much. I had a UV sterilizer and I think it's a waste of money. xD I only got a UV sterilizer when my 29g sorority got columnaris. After that, I sold the UV sterilizer. Too much money for something that didn't do much. After it "sterilized" my tank, it still became a death tank and fish would get sick with everything under the sun. I ended up decommissioning the tank in fear of someone else setting it up as an auarium and their fish getting sick. Honestly, as long as your bettas wasn't sick with anything super contagious (such as columnaris or mycobateria) then the new betta should be fine. Also, older bettas tend to get sick more often due to weakened immune systems.

I used to live up in Indiana. I always remember Dupage County getting weather warnings. xD You can look online and find a healthy betta, but just make sure heat packs are included with shipping. Make sure that the seller provides something like 60 hour heat packs and then do priority, express or overnight shipping - your choice and it's a gamble for survival with priority.

I'm getting two new bettas from my friend up in NY. I'm doing priority, but she actually got some nice heat packs for me. So, I'm getting a king koi male and a red/green super delta male - all for $15. If you're ever up for adopting rescued bettas (bettas on the verge of death that were bought and then rehabilitated) then feel free to PM me. She gets in some great boys! Kings, plakats, doubletail halfmoons, etc. She also picks up females. It's your choice, just let me know if you're interested. :)

Also, are you looking for a true giant? You can look on Aquabid, but other than that you could try Lee-Bun Betta Farm.

Get rid of the EcoComplete and replace it if desired. It breaks down over time and can cause pH fluctuations.

Don't worry about a UV sterilizer - they're extremely expensive for such a small tank. You can let the tank go for a week without getting another fish and that should kill off anything that requires a host. Just make sure to supplement the nitrifying bacteria somehow, whether you choose to put in fish food or what. Honestly, your dad is partially right. Do a 1005 water change and, if you want, disinfect everything (except the filter due to the beneficial bacteria in there) with vinegar. Honestly, I think you're worrying too much. I had a UV sterilizer and I think it's a waste of money. xD I only got a UV sterilizer when my 29g sorority got columnaris. After that, I sold the UV sterilizer. Too much money for something that didn't do much. After it "sterilized" my tank, it still became a death tank and fish would get sick with everything under the sun. I ended up decommissioning the tank in fear of someone else setting it up as an auarium and their fish getting sick. Honestly, as long as your bettas wasn't sick with anything super contagious (such as columnaris or mycobateria) then the new betta should be fine. Also, older bettas tend to get sick more often due to weakened immune systems.

I used to live up in Indiana. I always remember Dupage County getting weather warnings. xD You can look online and find a healthy betta, but just make sure heat packs are included with shipping. Make sure that the seller provides something like 60 hour heat packs and then do priority, express or overnight shipping - your choice and it's a gamble for survival with priority.

I'm getting two new bettas from my friend up in NY. I'm doing priority, but she actually got some nice heat packs for me. So, I'm getting a king koi male and a red/green super delta male - all for $15. If you're ever up for adopting rescued bettas (bettas on the verge of death that were bought and then rehabilitated) then feel free to PM me. She gets in some great boys! Kings, plakats, doubletail halfmoons, etc. She also picks up females. It's your choice, just let me know if you're interested. :)

Also, are you looking for a true giant? You can look on Aquabid, but other than that you could try Lee-Bun Betta Farm.

I still got plenty of live plants (primarily Java ferns) inside the tank, are they ok to disinfect with vinegar? I was also thinking about replacing my Aquaclear 20 because the propeller is very worned and flow rate is slower than it was before..

And yes, I was planning to get the betta last after everything settles and when I am sure I can get the new betta. Right now lets focus on taking care of the tank, before we decide to get a betta.

I'll take photos of the tank tomorrow.

Update: Another thing to add, I did a 100% water change yesterday after my betta passed.

Edited by wteoh1

I still got plenty of live plants (primarily Java ferns) inside the tank, are they ok to disinfect with vinegar? I was also thinking about replacing my Aquaclear 20 because the propeller is very worned and flow rate is slower than it was before..

And yes, I was planning to get the betta last after everything settles and when I am sure I can get the new betta. Right now lets focus on taking care of the tank, before we decide to get a betta.

Update: Another thing to add, I did a 100% water change yesterday after my betta passed.

Yes, it's safe on plants. It just seems like a lot of work for a betta that died from old age. As long as there weren't new additions (including plants and decor) within the last few months then everything should be fine. I've never had a problem. I've even had divided betta tanks where one got velvet and died and the rest were fine and I never cleaned the tank, I only did a water change. Even future fish in that tank were fine.

Get an Aqueon instead. They're quieter and I love mine while I hate the AquaClears. The ACs are so noisy now and the Aqueons are still so quiet. I have to clean the intake tube on my ACs once a week because gunk (not even plants) get stuck in it.

Anyway, if you've already done a 100% water change then you're set. Everything is fine and ready to go. You don't really need to disinfect and it'll be a bit of stress on your plants, but if you really want to then you can. Disinfect the gravel, decor, and the tank itself with vinegar. Dip the plants in a 3:1 water to vinegar ratio for a few minutes. After that, rinse it out really well and set it back up. Just buy the new filter (before you clean the tank) and transfer over the media from the old filter. There shouldn't be any "nasty" things in there that could harm the betta, but I'd rather get a healthy betta and "risk" (I put it in quotes because the possibility is extremely slim) the fish getting sick rather than purchasing it, having it go through the stress of shipping, and the having to go through another month or so of stress from cycling the tank again.

Yes, it's safe on plants. It just seems like a lot of work for a betta that died from old age. As long as there weren't new additions (including plants and decor) within the last few months then everything should be fine. I've never had a problem. I've even had divided betta tanks where one got velvet and died and the rest were fine and I never cleaned the tank, I only did a water change. Even future fish in that tank were fine.

Get an Aqueon instead. They're quieter and I love mine while I hate the AquaClears. The ACs are so noisy now and the Aqueons are still so quiet. I have to clean the intake tube on my ACs once a week because gunk (not even plants) get stuck in it.

Anyway, if you've already done a 100% water change then you're set. Everything is fine and ready to go. You don't really need to disinfect and it'll be a bit of stress on your plants, but if you really want to then you can. Disinfect the gravel, decor, and the tank itself with vinegar. Dip the plants in a 3:1 water to vinegar ratio for a few minutes. After that, rinse it out really well and set it back up. Just buy the new filter (before you clean the tank) and transfer over the media from the old filter. There shouldn't be any "nasty" things in there that could harm the betta, but I'd rather get a healthy betta and "risk" (I put it in quotes because the possibility is extremely slim) the fish getting sick rather than purchasing it, having it go through the stress of shipping, and the having to go through another month or so of stress from cycling the tank again.

Just to let you know, if I happen to replace my EcoComplete, I will have to recycle the tank. I have ammonia I got from Walgreens (with no additives) that hasn't been used which I'll use it to "fishlessly" cycle the tank.

Honestly, I find Aqueon filters to be ineffective compared to Aquaclear. Idk why your Aquaclear was loud but mine was extremely quiet. I guess i'll keep the Aquaclear

Edited by wteoh1

Just to let you know, if I happen to replace my EcoComplete, I will have to recycle the tank. I have ammonia I got from Walgreens (with no additives) that hasn't been used which I'll use it to "fishlessly" cycle the tank.

Honestly, I find Aqueon filters to be ineffective compared to Aquaclear. Idk why your Aquaclear was loud but mine was extremely quiet. I guess i'll keep the Aquaclear

No you wouldn't. I'm saying keep the media from the filter and transfer it to the new filter. If you keep your old filter, then just keep the old media. If you get new substrate, you won't have to re-cycle the tank.

Also, it's not just one AquaClear for me - I had 3 of them and two have died. I've had them for many years, I believe one of them lasted 4-5 years. Now I just have one and my 2 Aqueons are better than the one AquaClear. They last longer, too. But, everyone had their own choice in filters. With the experience I've had with AquaClears, I'm baffled as to why everyone loves them. But, anywho, it's your decision. I'm just trying to input my :twocents.

I'm sorry for the passing of your betta.  Sounds like he had a wonderful couple/few years with you.

I had just purchased an aqueon filter not too long ago for my betta tank that I upgraded the tank on and the darn thing stopped working after a week or so of having it.  I brought it back and purchased the ac50 and am loving it.  I did have an aqueon 55/75 for my gf tank and I loved it also but it stopped working not even two years later. 

added:  My betta had passed away last December and that's when I shortly upgraded my tank to a larger one that I had already. That's when I upgraded the filter also for my tropical tank. 

Edited by 4prettyfish

I've been extremely busy in school this week, since the local petcos in my area don't sell the aquaclear 20s I guess I'll have to purchase it online..

Update: So I purchased the EcoComplete and the Aquaclear 20 today.

I couldn't find any giant bettas on aquabid after thoroughly scanning through them.

Are they any more websites that sell Giant bettas?

Update: So I purchased the EcoComplete and the Aquaclear 20 today.

I couldn't find any giant bettas on aquabid after thoroughly scanning through them.

Are they any more websites that sell Giant bettas?

Here is a site that sells Giant Bettas ;)

http://www.bettastars.com/