Oliver

thatfancygoldfish

Hey guys! 
Thought I would also give you all an update since Lisa asked how my (adult) puppy is doing. 

Oliver has grown so handsome since I first brought him home! He's turned into a well adjusted dog. He's well behaved, loves his family and visitors. His favourite thing to do is play fetch and run in the back yard. He's strange in the fact that he is not so fond of walks, but hey! we manage :)

JEMUV7G.jpg

pHBjWuB.jpg

5hXEcvj.jpg

xEiIqjv.jpg

Those are adorable photo's of Oliver, especially the second one.  Very cute. :P

I had to chuckle about Oliver not being fond of walks.  Our Muffin (Lhasa Apso) doesn't even walk most of the time going out for longer walks away from our home.  My daughter has to pick her up for she will not budge.  For instance, this is for when Taylor is walking Muffin to the Groomers or heading to the Library.   :(  But boy, once Muffin knows she's heading back home she has no problem using her legs.  I think it's because she doesn't go for walks enough.  Does Oliver?

Those are adorable photo's of Oliver, especially the second one.  Very cute. :P

I had to chuckle about Oliver not being fond of walks.  Our Muffin (Lhasa Apso) doesn't even walk most of the time going out for longer walks away from our home.  My daughter has to pick her up for she will not budge.  For instance, this is for when Taylor is walking Muffin to the Groomers or heading to the Library.    :(  But boy, once Muffin knows she's heading back home she has no problem using her legs.  I think it's because she doesn't go for walks enough.  Does Oliver?

Aw, thank you :) 

Oh my! We have a similar problem!!! 

It must be a dog thing to do that, Oliver if he knows he's going somewhere he doesn't want to? He plops himself on his side laying down so you can't pick him up, put a harness on him or do anything else. 

That is bad isn't it? :(  Muffin just puts her paws into the ground and will not budge.  I'm not with Taylor when she walks her but she'll come home afterwards and tells me how embarrassing she gets when Muffin does this.  Cars drive by and Taylor is holding this 21 pound dog like a big baby.haha  It's not really funny because I tell Taylor she needs to be the Alpha Dog but Muffin just does not budge more than half the time while walking away from home.  I don't get it for she likes to be outside.  It's not on hot days so her paws aren't getting too hot.  How long have you had Oliver?   It's been a year, hasn't it?

added: Muffin will be 11 this Summer (I think)  She didn't always do this.  I'd just say over the last few years.

Edited by 4prettyfish

That is bad isn't it? :(  Muffin just puts her paws into the ground and will not budge.  I'm not with Taylor when she walks her but she'll come home afterwards and tells me how embarrassing she gets when Muffin does this.  Cars drive by and Taylor is holding this 21 pound dog like a big baby.haha  It's not really funny because I tell Taylor she needs to be the Alpha Dog but Muffin just does not budge more than half the time while walking away from home.  I don't get it for she likes to be outside.  It's not on hot days so her paws aren't getting too hot.  How long have you had Oliver?   It's been a year, hasn't it?

added: Muffin will be 11 this Summer (I think)  She didn't always do this.  I'd just say over the last few years.

I wonder, since it's been so recent, you might be able to snap her out of it. Have you guys tried enticing her with some of her favourite food or a toy? Oliver for instance gets really possessive (to the point of biting) when he finds something he likes that we want to take away. I bargain with him, I say trade, give him his favourite food and he inturn gives me his prize.  Same thing happens when he plants himself down and refuses to get up, I'll give him something of value, if he gets to his feet. It might take some work, but it's totally easy to correct!

I wonder, since it's been so recent, you might be able to snap her out of it. Have you guys tried enticing her with some of her favourite food or a toy? Oliver for instance gets really possessive (to the point of biting) when he finds something he likes that we want to take away. I bargain with him, I say trade, give him his favourite food and he inturn gives me his prize.  Same thing happens when he plants himself down and refuses to get up, I'll give him something of value, if he gets to his feet. It might take some work, but it's totally easy to correct!
Thanks for all the info. I think Taylor has tried some different things with Muffin. But, I don't know if she has actually taken treats with her to entice her when she "plants her paws". That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to tell her next time to take some treats with her. Thank you for the idea(s). When I want her to do something for me if she's doing something she's not suppose to do I'll tell her to "Come, I'll give you a scratch." Muffin is gradually getting better about coming to me. She has a habit of eating her poo :( I know gross, or getting a hold of tissue/paper. I'll tell her to "Drop it, Muffin. Come, I'll give you a scratch." Just depends on how bad she wants that scratch or poo or tissue I guess. Dog's, got to love them. Edited by 4prettyfish

Thanks for all the info. I think Taylor has tried some different things with Muffin. But, I don't know if she has actually taken treats with her to entice her when she "plants her paws". That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to tell her next time to take some treats with her. Thank you for the idea(s). When I want her to do something for me if she's doing something she's not suppose to do I'll tell her to "Come, I'll give you a scratch." Muffin is gradually getting better about coming to me. She has a habit of eating her poo :( I know gross, or getting a hold of tissue/paper. I'll tell her to "Drop it, Muffin. Come, I'll give you a scratch." Just depends on how bad she wants that scratch or poo or tissue I guess. Dog's, got to love them.

I totally hear you! I think oliver is very similar :) It's just important not to get frustrated. It might not be a bad idea to maybe use a clicker for these kinds of situations. When he sees the clicker, he knows if he behaves, something good will happen. If you get a hold of one, what you have to do is 'load' the clicker. Sit with Muffin and click  then give her a treat. Repeat 10 x in a row until she understands that the click means she will get something tasty. From this you can start to build good behaviours :) Just make sure you click at the EXACT moment that she is doing something good, then she will realize that this is the behaviour you want her to repeat. So if she's digging her paws into the floor and finally lets up? Click! Reward her. Gradually she will stop.

Thank you on the clicker.  I've thought of purchasing one off and on for awhile now but haven't.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to have the clicker with you at all times to use it when you need it, walks or in home.  Walks I can see having though.  Thanks for your input on this.  I just know when I tell her about the: Drop it and getting a scratch..........She really thinks about it at times.  I can see it in her eyes.  She's like, is that scratch going to be worth it or will she just give me a short little one. hahaha  Dogs are smart.  i never get Mad at her but I do let her know in my voice that I'm the Master, not her.  But it doesn't seem it though at times. :(  I'm going to tell Taylor the treat thing first next time she takes Muffin for a walk.  I didn't mean to get off topic with your updated photo's of Oliver but you did make me chuckle about the walking comment and made me think of my own dog.

Thank you on the clicker.  I've thought of purchasing one off and on for awhile now but haven't.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to have the clicker with you at all times to use it when you need it, walks or in home.  Walks I can see having though.  Thanks for your input on this.  I just know when I tell her about the: Drop it and getting a scratch..........She really thinks about it at times.  I can see it in her eyes.  She's like, is that scratch going to be worth it or will she just give me a short little one. hahaha  Dogs are smart.  i never get Mad at her but I do let her know in my voice that I'm the Master, not her.  But it doesn't seem it though at times. :(  I'm going to tell Taylor the treat thing first next time she takes Muffin for a walk.  I didn't mean to get off topic with your updated photo's of Oliver but you did make me chuckle about the walking comment and made me think of my own dog.

Oh don't even worry about getting off topic :) It's not really off, it's still a dog conversation anyway! 

Definitely have Taylor try it, hopefully it works for you! And I agree completely, what I dont like about the clicker is that i always need to keep treats in my pocket. (ICK!)